Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Then place your dogs neutered or spayed. IF you allow unfixed get to leave your property NOTHING you can do if someone wants to flip you the bird and breed it. You can sue...you can track them down...but until a court of law awards you the dog itself, legally...having an SS is not going to do anything for you.

If you are truly concerned about the future breeding your dog may have in spite of your screenings...then prespay or neuter. If you choose not to...then accept you may have a dog get away from you and need to use legal channels to retrieve it. It is not legal to show up and repossess something you do not own...and possession is 9/10 esp after the owner has invested YEARS of care and $$ into the dog by then...contract or not...property in someone else's care and control must be dealt with and awarded by a court of law.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 AM

wouldn't it be more practical for a breeder to have the neutering/spaying done? that is honestly the most absolute way to insure your line, right? I'm just asking because I'm curious. surely it would be expensive and tedious to track down a puppy that is across the country, so why not take measures to do it before placing?

I signed to have the neutering, and I guess it never occured to me not to do it. lol so providing that proof was perfectly ok with me. beyond that, tho, it's my opinion that the breeder has no say.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:03 AM

HbH...we posted at the same time. LOL
Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi View Post
wouldn't it be more practical for a breeder to have the neutering/spaying done? that is honestly the most absolute way to insure your line, right? I'm just asking because I'm curious. surely it would be expensive and tedious to track down a puppy that is across the country, so why not take measures to do it before placing?

I signed to have the neutering, and I guess it never occured to me not to do it. lol so providing that proof was perfectly ok with me. beyond that, tho, it's my opinion that the breeder has no say.
Its not practical for me to keep all my dogs till they are a year old.

And if the breeder has no say, then why bother with s/n contracts? Many people on this forum will jump up and down if a breeder doesn't have a contract.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Have a contract, in fact have a good legally binding one...but don't assume it..or a SS number is some magical protection from people diddling you. That is the actual point I am making.

Your first line of defense if you are not s/n your dogs before they leave...is imo knowing your buyer and spending the time and energy to really try to forge a bond and convey to them you love this puppy or dog the same way they do, and that you are a person who is not there to interfere or boss them around...but to support and be there when/if needed.

I have dealt with breeders...and it's usually newer ones I have to say...that are incredible control freaks that have buyers afraid to change foods without their permission, or that yank dogs back because they won't feed raw or gave the dog a vaccination they don't like.

I won't deal with folks like that, and I won't be folks like that, life is too short.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Oh, it's *you*

BTW I have bought/sold dogs without a written contract...finished CH or show potential pups..it's all about trust and respect. Old skool and new skool....sometimes the two types do things differently.

The only hard and fast rule in dogs is that there are no hard n fast rules. Adaptation and often your gut feeling is what is really needed.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:32 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
You can have my phone number. You can have my e-mail. You can have my address. You can have that info for a couple of contacts, such as my parents, who can find me. You can't have my SSN, or my DL#. Its not because I don't trust you, but because those are NOT your business. Period. Unless you have a reason to run a credit check on me, you don't need them. And buying a puppy should not be grounds for a credit check. IF you really want to make sure I have enough money, I'll give you a redacted bank statement.

I don't mean to be rude, but I am so dang tired of everyone and their cousin thinking they are entitled to very private information. Yes, a puppy is a life long relationship.
Thank you. I wonder if this is where all future breeders are headed? My SS# is mine and mine alone. No one else may have it and having had my identity stolen once, you better believe the people and companies that I give my ss# are VERY limited.

I understand a breeder needs to know what is going on with the pups that once belonged to them. In that effect, I think it's important to maintain a relationship with the puppy's NEW parents. Once a contract is signed and a puppy is bought, it doesn't belong to the breeder anymore, unless under a co-ownership type thing. If a breeder is worried about keeping contact with new owners, then state that regular contact is mandatory or something like that. God knows that new puppy owners LOVE to share their babies with everyone.

And I have to agree with, Debi (I think it was). Just because I have a puppy from a breeder does not mean they own me. I hate the thought of someone having access to personal information that can potentially ruin my life.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Looks like the SS set will be missing out on some great homes...any puppy of mine would be happy to live with y'all...number or not.

Speaking of puppies...I should go feed Cleo...she looks annoyed at me for missing the 8:30am feed LOL.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:37 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Don't you love how they stick to schedules? lol

Old 04-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Oh, it's *you*

yes...8:31..I AM STARRRRVING...YOU EVIL PERSON!