Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Question about breeds with show/working/sport split...

This is more of an opinion question than anything, but I've been wondering about it for a while.

Anywho, do you think it is okay for people to get the show line of the breed (show lab, show BC) even if they are aware of the split between the breeds and recognize that the working lines are more of the "true" breed? Or do you think that it is just working against the plight of many breed people to get their breed out of the ring and focused on the working aspect?

Am I making any sense?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Let it be

You are making sense. I will admit I considered getting a conformation bred Border Collie for my next dog. Thought that they would be easier because they are less drivey and Spanky drove my batty as a pup. Then I met one and I changed my mind. There is a reason I love these dogs so much. I can't explain it really but the dogs that weren't bred with the original purpose in mind were severely lacking in what my dogs' have. I am not saying they aren't lovely companions but I'll stick with what I've got.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 PM
and Fozzie B!

Personally, I would have NO interest in EVER buying a conformation-bred Border Collie. Not that they aren't beautiful dogs, or sweet dogs, or intelligent dogs. I've met many who are all of that and more. I just know I would feel guilty about it, I know I would always disagree with my decision to do so, and I know I would *compare* the dog to working BCs. Not to mention, I would be afraid that the dog would not grow up to be a "Border Collie"... when/if I choose to buy a BC from a breeder, I want that dog to be a BC, not an empty shell of one.

I absolutely feel that buying a conformation-bred BC would be working against the breed. I am ok with breeding lower drive dogs to higher drive dogs, to balance things out, but never would I want a dog from any AKC champions... as that would make them ineligible to be ABCA registered.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Okay thanks guys

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Top Dog

It would depend on the breed. Some of them aren't as split. For example if I wanted a Boston Terrier I'm going to assume that conformation breeders would be the best way to go, bonus points if they do obedience. But I would never get a German Shepherd from a show home. I know there's the controversy of the AKC and popularity ruining breeds but on the other hand if there's no interest at all then there's potential for a breed to be lost entirely.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Show Dog

A working dog isnt for everyone but their are still those who admire a working breed, therefore have the conformation line route. I just hate when people dont truly understand a working breed because they are so used to seeing washed out conformation pets. Everyone thinks because I have german shepherds they are laid back cuddle bugs, and thats simply not true. Working line shepherds have very high drives (prey, defense, fight, hunt, pack) and can be challenging in an experienced owners hands, and down right devestating in a novices hands. But then there are sport lines, that focus more on prey drive than defense or fight drive. So there is a happy medium for those who want some working qualities without many agression issues that can occur if not dealt with properly. Its whatever floats your boat . The split between show/working/sport will always be there whether I stress out about it or not.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

People should buy what suits them. The split isn't coming from the buyers, it's coming from what the breeders are breeding and what the judges are giving the wins to. I've seen some pretty awful judging decisions, and then all of a sudden everyone breeds for that. (Like the oversized corgis.)

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-26-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm All Ears

I have no qualms with someone buying the dog that suits them. I'd have no desire for a bench lab or a bench border collie but I don't mind others buying them at all.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM
F150 and a .30-06

While I dont agree there should be a split it takes so much time and effort to be good at one let alone both. Also I prefer doing confo to anything else but that doesnt mean I dont appreciate a good working dog it just isnt my thing

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I found a breeder who has conformation titles on a few of her cockers, and hunt titles on all of them. Many quite impressive with master hunt titles, and agility MACHs. She's stepped away from the show ring though. Decided she'd had enough. She has an amazing stud, titled at both ends.. But most of her girls are very very fieldy looking now, which isn't so my taste.. Sadly I'd like a little bit from both worlds and that is really hard to find in cockers.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground