Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-25-2008, 09:21 PM
My house is a zoo

Like everyone else has said, if you have the time and the space and the money to care for them properly then the number really doesn't matter.

We currently have five dogs and could easily have one or two more. We also have eleven permanent indoor cats, as well as fostering cats on a regular basis, plus our outdoor ferals. There are also seven horses currently living here (but most belong to John's dad, although I am responsible for one of two daily feedings as well as grooming and the other chores).

We make it work, we have 15 acres (13 of which are fenced for the horses), we have a good sized house and I am a stay at home critter mom... so I have plenty of time to care for everyone and everyone gets plenty of attention.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Ditto to whatever one else is saying...
Old 04-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

I don't want to take on any more at the moment. i have five dogs, 2 horses, 4 cats, 1 rabbit, 9 ducks and geeses and 12 goats. Right now that is enough.

People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Top Dog

Like most have said, it all depends on you the owner.

The most dogs I've ever had was 14. And every single one received quality vet care, nutrition, love, exercise, 1-on-1 indoor time, etc. But I made it work. Not everyone can or is willing to do that.

And I just want to remind everyone that it doesn't matter if the dog lives on the bed, in a kennel inside, in a kennel outside, or on a proper tie-out/chain set-up outside. You cannot judge if that dog is happy and properly cared for just because it is confined in a manner you personally don't approve of.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Yorkie Love

I think what everyone else said is right.

At one time I would have looked at anyone with 6 animals as CRAZY... but now having 6 it is easy to care for them all.

They all get fed good food... go to the vet whenever necessary... get regular groomings including going to the professionals as well as baths when they are dirty and regular hair and teeth brushing.

All the dogs get taken out for walks and individual attention.

However, I think we are now at our limit... it always seems like someone needs to go to the vet for something... its basically a monthly charge to look forward to. Also when we want to go away it is a bit of a struggle because the care we get for them while we are away is very very expensive... It would be easier if we kenneled them but we wont do that.

So anyway... I guess 6 is my limit right now.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:24 AM
BusterLove

Boarding is another thing, its one of those times you have to put out a lot of money in one hit, not so great. We boarded 5 animals (4 dogs, 1 cat) when we moved here fopr 2 weeks. With a discount it rounded off to about $1000. Ofcourse we were crammed into a caravan so we could afford them. lol

Old 04-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

LOL mrose!

I totally understand the boarding issue! While I usually have a few very, very close friends (and fellow APBT owners) that will take my dogs in while I have to go somewhere, when Cole was born we didn't have the time to call everyone (I was admitted straight to the hospital from a routine dr. appt.). I only had 1 friend that could take a few dogs, my parents took a few, and the rest went to a vet clinic and boarding facility that I knew well and trusted. But I don't know what was worse....the pain from a c-section or the pain from a $2,000 boarding fee!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm All Ears

We have 6 and I'd like a couple more honestly. 5 dogs and a chin. I don't think I'll have another Chin, though.

To me the biggest resource is money. Vet care especially when they get older is a big financial drain. >.<

I think for me and my lifestyle the ideal amount of dogs is 3-7 depending... I love having five but wouldn't mind a couple more.

So long as you can care for them properly then I say the more the merrier.

ETA: And I'd personally much rather have a bunch of dogs than a bunch of cats and a dog or something like that. Cats are cool, but they wear on me.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Vet care especially when they get older is a big financial drain
And that's why you quit your job throwing your initial college degree "down the drain" and go back and become a Vet Tech.

It's what I did.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Top Dog

Personally, for me, two dogs of my own is my limit. As for fosters, I can handle anywheres from two to six, depending on how much training and exercise they need. Currently I have five fosters.

As for cats...well, I know that there will always be a dog in my life, but I'm fine with not having a cat. Lillian's only three years old, so she's nowhere near old age yet, but I'm thinking when she goes, I won't be actively looking for another cat. Heck, I wasn't even looking for a cat when I ended up with my prissy princess in the first place, so...

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat