Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWZ View Post
I totally disagree with breeding for sport, it serves only, at least in the world of bc's, to produce dogs that are neurotic, hyper, have no ability to settle, and more often than not end up in rescue because the family that bought the pup in the first place can't handle the dog and turns it over to rescue...which is exactly what happend to my pup Whim at 10 wks of age! Although he is not neurotic, he is very high drive, and can settle in the house only because I've taught him how to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
People who tout agility/flyball titles as proof of a dog's "breedability" scare me. To me, there is nothing about those titles that set them apart from a billion other dogs..

A good solid working-line Aussie IS the perfect performance dog. The way they're put together and what they were originally bred for means that they can excell in anything from flyball, Rally, agility, etc. They've got the total package and I wish people would keep to that.
Agreed, both of you. And the Aussie thing goes for Border Collies too. I, too, wish people would leave the breed (whether Aussie or Border Collie, I don't know much about Aussies) alone and admire and respect the breed for what it is - a WORKING dog.

I am pretty much against breeding Performence dogs. Showing is a different thing, though. Showing for somes breeds in great, but for others it's not. And I dislike how if a breeder/breed doesn't show their dogs, they are atomatically written off by some people.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-26-2008, 11:04 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
As for Trial Labs... thats not hunting either. A hunting dog book will typically warn the reader for getting a Trial Lab for a hunting dog; almost as strongly as they warn against Show- Only Labs. A lot of the Pointer trials are run from horseback, which is great if you have giant fields and a horse, but not so good for most people.
That's what I mean. A lot of people show trial labs as 'field labs' and I really don't think that should be the case.

Anyways, for breeds where the original purpose is obsolete I'd hope a breeder would breed for a total dog, not just one sport.

I have a very performance bred dog, but his parents did multiple sports and did conformation as well. That's the way I'd prefer to see it.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
And I dislike how if a breeder/breed doesn't show their dogs, they are atomatically written off by some people.
I agree. But, I also dislike how if a breeder/breed DOES show their dogs, they're automatically written off by some people.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I agree. But, I also dislike how if a breeder/breed DOES show their dogs, they're automatically written off by some people.
Agreed.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

^^ x3

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 04-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Twin 2.0

^^x4

Ok, not really, I just wanted to get in on the action.

I guess I sort of agree, though I think I'm a little skewed/biased because I'm looking at this through the lens of Aussies.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Let it be

^Same here Zoom. Conformation bred BCs are not what I consider to be a true BC. I would never purchase one from a breeder. I wouldn't hesitate to adopt one if the chance ever came up and I was smitten with the dog but I think that would be the only time I'd ever get a non working bred BC.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
Old 04-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Conformation bred BCs are not what I consider to be a true BC.
Interesting point of view! Here's a hypothetical question... Which of these "made up" BCs is the "true" BC?

DOG A: Zip is a puppy from a working breeder. His parents are top ranked trial dogs, and also work on the farm every day. However, Zip is a pet quality puppy, as he does not show as much promise in herding as his pedigree would normally produce. He is not a dog that will ever see a herding trial, he just doens't have it in him. His littermates show more promise, but every litter has a puppy or two that don't seem to have inherited their good working genes from the parents.

DOG B: Carlie is a Border Collie from show lines, and she is a finished champion. Her sire is the #2 Border collie in the AKC. Her dam is a champion, and a very pretty dog as well. Now, Carlie is very special - she has a knack for herding! We're not just talking AKC trials here, she really has a gift for being able to move and control stock. No, she's not going to be winning any national herding trials, but she does very well locally.

Okay... which one is a "true" BC? Zip or Carlie?

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Water Junkie

Hmm.

Thats an interesting question Sizzle!

I would say Zip is more of a "true" Border Collie. Here's why; I think what makes a true Border Collie is working ability and breeding.

Also, just because Carlie has a knack for herding -since she's from show lines- doesn't mean she would produce more working offspring.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l