Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-12-2005, 10:55 AM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

I still think u should a cattle dog or a golden!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

It's hard isn't it?

I spend way too much time on petfinder personally, and I had probably 4 dogs in mind when I managed to convince my husband to get another. I was accepted for the first one, but didn't have the opportunity of meeting him. I said ok anyway, as I knew I could bring him back if there was a problem... I have no regret at all.

It's funny, because when I met him the first time he was really shy, didn't want me to pick him up, and had his tail between his legs. Well he had spent 2 weeks in a shelter, and just spent 5 hours in the car coming up from Virginia, so I knew it didn't mean much... I picked him up anyway, he was really skinny, and lighter than my already small cat. He wasn't really at ease, but we took him on the grass a bit... After a few minutes he started licking my face, even though he was still shy.

Well now he comes to me with his tail wagging all the time, gives me lots of kisses, and is so far extremely easy to train. He came to my brother in law with his tail wagging too, I can't wait for him to have all his shots so I can really start socializing him more... He's sleeping against my feet as I'm typing.

Bottom line, i think all dogs are wonderful when you get to know them... So it's so hard to have to choose.

Oh and I agree, that lab mix is really adorable.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:12 AM
stirder

2 or 3 weeks ago we had picked one. a 1 year old female australian cattle dog. she was perfect. we found her at our local shelter, and went back home to get strider so we could see how they got along. if they went for each others throats it wouldnt work. if they played and got along, they could still decide later that they didnt like each other but theyd probably get along. well, when we got back another family was 1/2 way through with adopting her.
they also had another cattle dog that we loved, but we were leary about him. the reason he was dropped off was that he didnt like his families other dog and bit it a few times. we decided to give it a try, but from the second he saw strider he was growling. his name is tiger. still there but we cant adopt a dog that will tear up strider, they have to be friends, or atleast okay with sharing a house, and mom and dad.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:38 AM
Felurian

The Little Skippers are somewhat similar to Terriers in many ways. I've had the privilege of knowing several people who had them and being around their dogs. Two of my favorites belonged to a couple who got them from a Schipperke rescue. They don't usually have quite the 'edge' that Terriers have, and tend to be a tad calmer - but they'd have to be, being bred to patrol the barges and boats. They're tough on vermin, like a Terrier! Like the Terriers, they aren't small dogs - they're compact dogs; inside that little body is a 70 pound watchdog!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-12-2005, 11:40 AM
stirder

lol, yeah, thats true. body of a mouse, heart of a lion.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:14 PM
stirder

think we have it narrowed down to golden, brittany spaniel, blue heeler, bottom of the list is a few terrier breeds, or a mix of one or more of those. most likely from a rescue, watching petfinder.com but possibly a breeder. unless somebody else has a good suggestion. as I said she prefers small breeds. she may also consider the bernese mountain dog.
should also add we have been considering this for a few months now and are in no hurry. it may be 3 or 4 months before we get another dog.