Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-11-2005, 08:27 AM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

I'd say males , but even though I'M a femle, becasue they look better to me, they are loyal and just got that whole male muscale thing going on...its hard to put in words. But females are nice to don't get me wrong, but males r better.LOL
Old 07-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Felurian

Hmmm. . . had males and females. The males are definitely less quirky and easier to train and more fun-loving. The females have been more intense and more likely to be serious about a situation with another dog. Where one of the males might take umbrage at something another dog did and correct it, afterward everything is forgiven; the females don't forgive and forget so easily!

As far as Terriers and German Shepherds go, having had the combination a couple of times, and knowing my sister's situation with a German Shepherd and a Jack Russell, they do make a great combo! Jacks seem to have the same type of learning curve as a German Shepherd for the most part, and Terriers tend to be playful their whole lives.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-11-2005, 09:55 AM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Hmmm. . . had males and females. The males are definitely less quirky and easier to train and more fun-loving. The females have been more intense and more likely to be serious about a situation with another dog. Where one of the males might take umbrage at something another dog did and correct it, afterward everything is forgiven; the females don't forgive and forget so easily!
I agree w/ u on this part! Males r easier to train and I think more lovable!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:03 AM
no touchy

I have tried to train a male dachshund....his brain was in outerspace and I couldn't teach him anything. I train his little friend, a female westie, once a week, and while she can be a stubborn little brat, she's intelligent.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:06 AM
stirder

hey renee, when we had jack russels (one with a male gsd and a female golden, the other jrt was with a male gsd and a female gsd), we didnt have any trouble. jrt's are tough enough that only the bravest/stupidest dog would mess with them. the male gsd would push his food bowl over to the jrt and then sit and let her eat it. and as much as I loved those 2 jrt's and still do, they are a handfull. they just have to chew and dig and bounce all the time. and they constantly have to kill something, even if its just a tennis ball or squeeky toy. jrt is up there on my list with golden and cattle dog, I just dont know if its right for my wife. on on ehand I do think so because they are possibly the cutest little monsters ever, they cuddle, their smart, their small (her criteria), etc. but they also arent up there because they are so intense. I would love to have one or 2 jrts running around again, and will someday. just cant decide if it would be right for her.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:07 AM
no touchy

I agree that Jacks are pretty intense....most terriers are....Colby often gets real bad cases of the zoomies...and if she's off-leash and sees a rabbit?...she's gone in .2 seconds.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:10 AM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

Well my aunt has a Rat Terrier and she is so hyper, but I use to know someone who had a JRT and he was so sweet and "somewhat" calm. I think JRT are cute and they might be good for your wife, but I still say a Cattle DOg...oh stirder did u call that person about the cattle dogs?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:19 AM
stirder

havnt called yet. been busy with dogs this morning. it will probably be a while before we get one. and in that time we are going to check out rescues and breeders. may end up with a mix of golden, aussie, and jrt, you never know. being trusted off leash would be preferable, but most of the time we dont risk it. almost everywhere we go locally there are lots of people with totally untrained dogs off-leash, and most of the places we go to camp/hike require dogs to be on leash. it would just be an added plus. and believe me, a jrt is the last dog I would trust off leash. they dont have to see a rabbit, they just imagine one and chase it.
anyway, thanks so much for all the responses. pretty much confirmed my original selection. narrowed down to golden or aussie, somewhat possible would be JRT or doberman.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Felurian

I wish I could risk a Jack around here, but they'd be coyote bait here.

My sister's GSD keeps Braec (the Jack) quite firmly in line, lol! Braec bit one of the kids - who richly deserved to be bitten, having been told time and time and time and time again to stop sniffing in the dog's ears and now Obie (GSD) won't allow Braec to be alone with the kids. If Obie leaves the room she herds Braec out with her. Irritates him no end, but there's nothing he can do about it, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-11-2005, 10:33 AM
stirder

lmao. thats hillarious. probably more so to me than to most people because I can actually see that happening. well renee, you settled it...now I want to get her jack russel