Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Sibe Crazy

Default having a hard time finding a Show puppy!

I have been looking into getting a Show Siberian husky pup from a reputable breeder for a while. I wont be planning on actually buying the pup for a few years. I just want to pick a breeder, get to know all the dogs pedigrees, and then possibly even meet up with the breeder to get some pointers..

So far I haven't had much luck with any breeders willing to sell a show quality pup without a co-own, to a novice. I don't really want to co-own, because I don't like how the breeder can just take the dog whenever they want.. For breeding rights whenever they please. Plus, I wouldn't want my dog taken away without me with it.. So ya, I'm thinking about going to the states to get my future puppy.. Anyone have a recommended breeder??
Old 04-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

Have you gone through a BC breed club ???

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Crazy Dog!

Most breeders will not sell to a novice for full ownership. You need to read the terms of the contract. A lot of times it says they will co-own until the dog is finished and all proper tests are done. Then they sign off and you have full ownership. Co-ownership doesn't mean they can take the dog away at will. Especially if you have a good contract that protects your rights aw well as the breeders.

Co-ownerships can be a blessing for people new to the show ring. Look at it from the breeders perspective, they have a REALLY nice puppy. They will definitely want the dog shown, so why place it on full ownership in a home who might fizzle out and decide they don't want to finish the dog? This happens a lot, which is why you usually won't find a breeder who will sell outright. If the breeder is willing to sell you the puppy on full ownership, chances are it's not a very nice dog, it may finish, but no big loss to the breeder if it doesn't.

Are you looking for a dog or bitch?
Old 04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

Dance is on a co-ownership between her breeder and I. Dance's breeder can't take her away from me without my say whenever she feels like it for showing, breeding, etc., and we haven't really discussed her being bred yet since she's only a year old and not even pointed in conformation, but she did tell me that I have the choice of whether I want the litter to me at my house or at hers when I bought Dance. After she has had one litter, has had all of her health testing done, and has recieved her ch. title, full ownership will be transferred to me. Honestly, half of the time I forget that Dance is co-owned, as having her has been no different from having our other dogs in the house who are not co-owned. As long as you're comfortable with the breeder, and have thoroughly read and are comfortable with their co-ownership contract, I don't see it as a big deal.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM
Old 04-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
So far I haven't had much luck with any breeders willing to sell a show quality pup without a co-own, to a novice.
I'm not surprised, honestly. I don't know of any breeders that will give a show quality dog to a novice without a co-ownership. OutlineACD really hit on some great points, and I wholeheartedly agree with what she said. Also - if you're a breeder and you sell a show quality dog outright to a novice, what do you do if that novice turns around and starts studding that dog out - in essence, dragging your good kennel name into the mud of BYBs. Breeders put a lot of work into protecting and preserving their breed, and it's a slap in the face when one of "their dogs" ends up in a BYB situation.

Contracts protect breeders, and can also help a novice. It can help break a novice into the show world, and help the owner with some of the costs of breeding a litter/health testing etc. It is also a wonderful way for a novice owner to learn from an experienced person in the breed.

I co-own my male with my breeder. Granted he's retired and neutered now, but it was always a very beneficial arrangement. Handling fees were cheaper since she paid half PLUS got me a discount with her handler. Even now, I keep her name on my dog's papers as a sign of respect for the work she's done. I'm proud to co-own a dog with her.

And like Toller said - most of the time I forget that he's co-owned. With the right contract and the right breeder, co-ownership is a wonderful thing.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-24-2008, 04:41 PM
RedyreRottweilers

A co-ownership does not mean the breeder can or will just take your puppy. However, one should be very familiar with what the breeder expects of you before signing a contract.

Most of the time a co-own agreement will specify that the dog should be shown and finished, and have requirements for breeding such as health testing and/or titling requirements, both for your dog and the dog you might select to breed it to later. Sometimes there are puppies back, or a clause that states the breeder can collect or use a male dog on bitches they own or co-own. Breeders want to be able to use a dog if it turns out to be outstanding as an adult. Often even experienced breeders find that the best puppy of a litter turns out not to be the one(s) they selected at 8 to 10 weeks. In this way the dogs who turn out nice are not lost to their breeding program.

What show ring experience do you have? What do YOU bring to the table that would cause a breeder to place an outstanding puppy with you?

Why would you expect a breeder who sells a puppy to someone on a co-own would not want to use that puppy later if it develops into something outstanding? How is this a negative for the person who owns the dog?

If you are conveying to breeders that you want a puppy and you do not want to offer or allow anything back to the breeder in return, you will find it very difficult to convince most breeders of excellence to place a puppy with you. Breeders do not want to enter into a 10+ year relationship with someone who is going to be hard to get along with.

A co-own agreement with the right breeder can be a GOOD thing. You get a mentor along with the puppy!

I have co-owned several dogs. I co-own Penny with her breeder. Never an issue. I co-own several puppies out of my recent litter. No issues.

If you pick the RIGHT BREEDER, and if you live up to your end of the bargain, a co-own agreement need not be cumbersome or limiting.

I do think a co-own should have an ending point. Mine ends once a puppy has its final health testing at age 2, and is titled or altered.

I would suggest you look around and see if there are any breed specific mailing lists (Groups at Yahoo.com is a good place to look for mailing lists) that you can join. If it's possible, join the National Club. Attend dog shows and talk to breeders and look at their dogs. Join an all breed club. In this way you can get to know some people and find out who you feel you might be able to work with.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Dafuq?

All 3 of my dogs are on a co-own. If your goals mesh with those of the breeder, they aren't an inconvenience at all. In fact, they're a good thing.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 04-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Oh, it's *you*

I recently fulfilled my co own with Nonnie who was an adult Ch when I purchased her. She is mine outright now, worked out fine. I also co own a very nice bitch puppy of hers with a Jr.

I would not expect full out ownership of a nice show dog of any age, as a novice or even experienced person new to that breed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 04-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Oh, it's *you*

BTW co owns CAN get very very ugly when people are not honest. I did them when I had to and I will not buy another hound on one if I can avoid it. I have however earned this by breeding a couple of nice dogs and showing myself to be responsible.

everything in writing...everything. Always remember that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 PM
woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I'm not surprised, honestly. I don't know of any breeders that will give a show quality dog to a novice without a co-ownership.
Ekk , another stone in my way or importing a puppy.