Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

I think crating will help. Definately. Just kind of "start over". Take them out regularly and crate them when you can't.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Original Twin

Django was having issues with going in one area of our house. We started feeding him there sometimes and presto, no more problem.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Workin' Dog

Quote:
Django was having issues with going in one area of our house. We started feeding him there sometimes and presto, no more problem.
That is great advice! It often works and it is so easy.

If it doesn't work, this is a situation where I would add correction to the housebreaking program. In situations like this, I am a big fan of letting them sleep in a crate and getting up in the morning but not taking them out. Give them the opportunity to make the mistake so you can catch them and correct them (ideally with something they will not connect to you, like a shaker can tossed into their proximity while they are starting the accident). If they do not want to make an accident, they will need to tell you they need to go out, either by scratching at a door, whining, barking, pacing, etc. If you notice any of these signs, praise and let them out.

You will need to work with one dog at a time, giving you a few sessions per dog, per week. I would think in a month you'll see some progress.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sch3Dana View Post
In situations like this, I am a big fan of letting them sleep in a crate and getting up in the morning but not taking them out. Give them the opportunity to make the mistake so you can catch them and correct them (ideally with something they will not connect to you, like a shaker can tossed into their proximity while they are starting the accident).
Oh dear, I do not agree with this method! Dogs don't want to "go" in their crates. Just like you don't want to go in your bed. So if you were to wait for them to go, they're having to hold it and hold it, which puts a lot of mental stress on them. Plus they will loose a lot of trust in you. They will hold it until they absolutely, physically, cannot hold it any longer. Imagine the last time you had to pee really bad - you know, so bad you HAVE to find a bathroom NOW, and you're not even sure you can walk that far. Now imagine if you had to wait 5 or even 10 more minutes, until it's literally either you pee in your pants or your bladder will burst. Then, after all that stress of having to hold it and not knowing if you'll be able to get to the bathroom in time, when you do decide you MUST go, you go and get a shaker can thrown at you??? I do believe that shaker cans help in a lot of situations, I'm not against them completely, but I think this situation is just far too stressful to put a dog in. ESPECIALLY when you can use management to fix the situation just fine.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:02 AM
Crazy Dog!

Lizzy, I think she meant letting the dog out of the crate and waiting a few minutes to see if he does to the place hes been peeing in the house. If he does, and attempts to pee, you would correct, if he goes to the door and asks to go out, praise and reward and let him out to pee.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

Oh, I guess I misunderstood - "not letting them out" means let them out of the crate but not outside?

I apologize, it's not as bad a method as I thought, but I still think it could be very detrimental to some dogs.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:45 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Personally I would not set my dog or puppy up to be unsuccessful.

I would concentrate on having the dog outside when it needs to eliminate and giving high value memorable rewards for doing so.

JMO of course.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

Gemp, how's this going?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 05-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Walks into Mordor

It's actually going great. We maneuvered Zeus' water bowl to the area he pees at, and voila! Problem fixed.

Voodoo is still crated at night, although he's left alone for short periods and is fine with it. I have a feeling he'll be just fine in a few weeks at most. Thanks for the advice, all.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

YAY! I'm so glad they're doing better!