Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Walks into Mordor

Angry Housebreaking issues

All right, Voodoo has decided it's acceptable to pee/poop in the dining room at night. And now Zeus has decided it's fine to pee on the front door when we're at work. I'm 100% sure it's a housebreaking issue, not anxiety, illness or anything like that.

I want to pull my hair out. I have no idea why both of my dogs decided to forget their training simultaneously.

Here's my question: is crating/containing both dogs for awhile really the solution to this problem? It stops the messing, yes. But once I let start letting them out again, will they just go right back at it?

I'm open to any ideas. Help!
Old 04-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Active Pup

i have a similiar problem to lol need some help to
Old 04-24-2008, 01:28 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Do you have an enzume pet cleaner to clean the messes? just wondering

I would restrict them to one room and then gradually give them more room to roam when they are reliable with the space they have. When I was fostering I bought baby gates and garage sales and used them for everything! I had a dog who jumped them so I'd put two in one doorway, one on top of the other lol

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 04-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
Do you have an enzume pet cleaner to clean the messes? just wondering

I would restrict them to one room and then gradually give them more room to roam when they are reliable with the space they have. When I was fostering I bought baby gates and garage sales and used them for everything! I had a dog who jumped them so I'd put two in one doorway, one on top of the other lol
Yes, I have an enzyme cleaner. My problem is that my living/kitchen/dining area is a big open floor plan. One huge room with no doorways. I don't *have* anywhere to put a baby gate.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
All right, Voodoo has decided it's acceptable to pee/poop in the dining room at night. And now Zeus has decided it's fine to pee on the front door when we're at work. I'm 100% sure it's a housebreaking issue, not anxiety, illness or anything like that.

I want to pull my hair out. I have no idea why both of my dogs decided to forget their training simultaneously.

Here's my question: is crating/containing both dogs for awhile really the solution to this problem? It stops the messing, yes. But once I let start letting them out again, will they just go right back at it?

I'm open to any ideas. Help!
Do you think it's a dominance issue between the boys? Have you noticed any other subtle changes in behavior? Changed their situation around at all so one feels the need to mark?

I am just getting over a similar issue. I have started bringing in my neighbors dog and while my boys are getting along fine with him it started a little tension between my dogs. With me it was always happening at night so I started having all the dogs sleep in my room with the door closed. After awhile I left the door open but started laying objects over the spots where they were marking that had my scent. A pair of shorts or something I wore around the house or something. I have not had one more incident. Now I am one by one removing the shorts or whatever and all is good so far. Kind of a strange techinque, but hey whatever works.

I just don't think dogs suddenly forget housetraining. Could there be an underlying issue that you can think of?

Thanks Steveinski!
Old 04-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

It could be, too, that one dog had an accident, maybe he wasn't feeling well or something. Then the other dog saw that that was an option (pottying in the house), so he did it as well. Then the other dog, even when he was feeling better, learned too that it's an option, and then you have a major regression. It does happen.

If they're always pottying in the same spot, you can try feeding them in that spot.

I agree about restricting their space for a time, then gradually giving them more space. You could also do this by giving them freedom for short periods of time, and then gradually lengthen them - so like, if you're just going out for an hour or so, leave them out then, but if you're going to be out for the whole day, then they need to be in crates. Once you're confident they'll be ok for an hour, you can try giving them two or three, and just gradually lengthen the time.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
It could be, too, that one dog had an accident, maybe he wasn't feeling well or something. Then the other dog saw that that was an option (pottying in the house), so he did it as well. Then the other dog, even when he was feeling better, learned too that it's an option, and then you have a major regression. It does happen.
That's exactly what happened. Voodoo was sick for two days, and made messes inside. Then he decided it was okay to do, so kept it up. Zeus followes his cue.

I'll keep up the retraining, and slowly give them space. Thanks for the advice, all!
Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Active Pup

You gave the new one to much freedom to quickly. The other didn't become untrained he was never trained for the second dog in the first place and now is marking. Again to much freedom. Crate training works very well their den animals they don't want to potti where they sleep. You have to take these animals out more pro actively than you've been.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by time View Post
You gave the new one to much freedom to quickly. The other didn't become untrained he was never trained for the second dog in the first place and now is marking. Again to much freedom. Crate training works very well their den animals they don't want to potti where they sleep. You have to take these animals out more pro actively than you've been.
Thanks for the advice. But both dogs have lived together and been perfectly housebroken for years. This is a new development.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Active Pup

Default Potti

Sorry I missed that. The solution is still the same. Start over. The crate will help you if time management is a problem. They can sit idle without making any more mistakes thereby not getting any better at being "bad." It's not the crate that will train them however, it's you taking them out more often while not giving them so much overall freedom.If they are out with you in the house and know down stay you can keep them from going that way as well. You have to pay attention to them so as to be the one to release them and take them directly out side to potti.

Last edited by time; 04-25-2008 at 12:27 PM. Reason: 's