Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Puppy Dog

Default puppy playing too rough with other dog, help!

so my aussie puppy and my whippet play together a lot but sometimes my whippet doesn't want to play/be bothered and the puppy keeps trying to play and herd her (nips at her back end). the puppy has drawn blood twice. how do i get the puppy to not do this? i've tried correcting her and seperating her but i don't want them seperated all the time. my husky plays with her sometimes and when the puppy gets too rough, he corrects her and she quickly stops and doesn't do it to him hardly ever. my whippet has thin skin/short fur so she is a bit delicate. she won't correct the puppy, she just lets it happen. any ideas on what i can do to stop the puppy from playing too rough?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Twin 2.0

Redirect and give time outs. If the pup keeps pestering your whippet, then the pup has to go sit by themselves for a bit. If you see the play getting a little out of hand, call or go get the puppy and play a game with them for a bit, give the whippet a chance to leave if it wants to.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Redirect and give time outs. If the pup keeps pestering your whippet, then the pup has to go sit by themselves for a bit. If you see the play getting a little out of hand, call or go get the puppy and play a game with them for a bit, give the whippet a chance to leave if it wants to.
i've tried to redirect, usually she'd rather pester the whippet than play with me. she'll follow the whippet wherever she goes too. guess i'll just have to try harder.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:36 AM
Big Dog

It's hard if the other dog won't correct at all. It means you need to do it. If you remove puppy from her fun time with the whippet every single time she starts to play too rough, maybe she'll eventually realize that she only gets playtime with her buddy if she can be nice. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymangel812 View Post
i've tried correcting her and seperating her but i don't want them seperated all the time.
You only have to keep them seperated for a few minutes at a time (probably 2-5 minutes). You do, though, have to be consistent about always seperating them when they do get too rough - so if you're not watching or don't want to handle it, they should not get to play together. It's possible that they'll have to be seperated a lot in the beginning, but once they learn it they will get to play together nicely for the rest of their lives, isn't that worth it??

And anyway, make sure that you are spending a lot of one-on-one time with your puppy away from the other dogs. Otherwise the puppy will bond with the other dogs and not bond with you, and you will have many problems arise because of that!