Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Active Pup

Default Desperate Help Needed

I need help.
My dog has biten me, viciously for the 2nd time now, drawing blood, and has tried many other times. Mainly when I get close to him with a treat, or when I try to take stolen socks away from him, but mainly when there is food around and I come close to him.

He is almost 5, and he has only recently started biting like this.

He is fully potty trained, and has knowledge of baisic commands (sit, come, down)

How can I get him to stop this biting, and listen.

When I tell him to come, he almost never does (without food.)
He will sit when told though.

He Jumps on people, he doesn't leave us alone at the dinner table.

I need to start being stricter with him, I know that for a fact, but what else can I do to stop him when he is in a vicious state? Please, Please help.

He is about 20 pounds.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

You need a professional, in my opinion. Hopefully others will see this and offer their advice as well.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM
Island dweller

What methods have you tried? Have you consulted a trainer?

I'm not a trainer but I can tell you that there have been very good posts in the past on dealing with food aggression.

I hope you find a way to work with him.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Crazy Dog!

Is this new or has he always been a biter? If this is a new behavior get him in to get his thyroid checked.

Seems that he has a lack of training and manners. You will have a long road ahead of you since he is already 5. Did you raise him from a puppy? What breed or mix is he? Is he neutered?

Google NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) and VERY seriously consider crate training if he isn't already crate trained. Buy the book Ruff Love by Susan Garrett and use it word for word.

The others on this forum may have some more advice for you.

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Just try me..

Get a trainer and start NILIF right away. Since this is new, as long as this is not the warning signs of a health issue, it should be easily handled. Easy if you get a good trainer that is.

I just rehabbed a dog that bit and drew blood numerous times for exactly that reason (food and resource guarding) Now I am at the stage I can take toys and chewies away.

You don't need to be stricter her with him per se, you will need to be stricter with yourself to keep the training up and to be consistent. Your dog isn't doing these things cause he is mean, he does them because on some level they are working for him. If you are fair and consistent he will listen.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I would want a complete physical on the dog right away, along with the aforementioned behavioral modification help.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Puppy Dog

I agree that a thorough health check and some professional help are in order. Remember, not all trainers are created equal, so don't just hire any trainer out of the yellow pages. Speak to local vets to get a referral to a trainer that's experienced with aggression cases.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Get a trainer and start NILIF right away. Since this is new, as long as this is not the warning signs of a health issue, it should be easily handled. Easy if you get a good trainer that is.

I just rehabbed a dog that bit and drew blood numerous times for exactly that reason (food and resource guarding) Now I am at the stage I can take toys and chewies away.

You don't need to be stricter her with him per se, you will need to be stricter with yourself to keep the training up and to be consistent. Your dog isn't doing these things cause he is mean, he does them because on some level they are working for him. If you are fair and consistent he will listen.
Alright thanks this was good help.

A question I still need answerd is
"What do I do when he is snarling and showing his fangs?" If I touch him he bites, hard.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

Follow all the above !!! If he's growling at you ...walk away !!! Don't let him get into things that you don't want him to have . Lay off on the treats until you have help !!! This is serious !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawalec View Post
Alright thanks this was good help.

A question I still need answerd is
"What do I do when he is snarling and showing his fangs?" If I touch him he bites, hard.
All of it was good advice. You need professional, one on one help that the internet can't give you. You need to remove the things that trigger him until you can get that help.