Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-21-2008, 02:04 AM
Top Dog

Default My New Deaf Puppy. With Pics

Well, my new deaf foster puppy...

He came from quite a ways away today, to be in our rescue. His breeder couldn't sell him-- He's supposed to be a pure AmStaff. His mother was pure white, and deaf. So when they bred her, Surprise! A white, deaf puppy was born. Someone bought him, only to find out a few days later he was deaf and took him back.

Anyway, he's SUPER sweet, and super cute! He loves everybody. He snores, which worries me a little bit, but he's got a vet appt. tomorrow anyway.

I wanna read up as much as I can on how to train, handle, and adopt out this puppy. Does anybody have any links for raising deaf puppies/dogs? I'd appreciate it. I've got the gist of it, easy, but the more I read the more I learn! My Archie is mostly deaf, also.

By the way, his name is appropriately "Knock-Out"-- he came with it.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:32 AM
BusterLove

aww he is so cute. I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say he shouldn't have much troub;e finding a new home, he's too cute.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:37 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Hand signals, I have very succesfully trained two deaf dogs using hand signals. It takes loads of patience but the theory is very similar to normal training. Give the signal, place pup in position and treat. You have to be very clear in the signals and I used a long line to train with distance work. That way if their attention wandered all you do it twitch the line.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:42 AM
Dog Crazy

Soooooooooo adorable
Old 04-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Top Dog

I'd say it wouldn't be much harder than training a hearing dog, I actually train hand signals before I train spoken commands with any dog. Simply teach him what you want by rewarding it and then start using the hand signal each time before you have him do the thing. for example if you want to teach him sit you lure him over and over then start using the hand signal right before you lure him. OR use the lure movement of your hand as the hand signal just make it, slowly, less dramatic. You can also do clicker training using a pen light. Instead of clicking and treating flash the light and treat. The hardest thing I'd say is getting your his attention for a command when he's not looking. I've heard you can stomp your feet and the vibrations can get his attention, if he's outside you can flash the porch light on and off (he'd have to be trained that means to look for you though) and inside flip the light switch on and off or but a VIBRATION collar (not shock!) to use to get his attention but you need to train him to look at you each time it vibrates. You have to be sure though, that he does not find the vibrations uncomfortable and aversive. There are some other methods as well, check out this site: http://www.deafdogs.org/

He's beautiful, just look at that face and those blue eyes, what a cutie!! Have fun with him!

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Irritate with Caution!!

Awwwwww!!!! I have never dealt with a deaf dog, but have seen some in agility and its pretty cool to see how well trained they are! I know there are some people who thrive on the challenge of raising and training deaf pups!!

He is VERY cute, best of luck!!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Puppy Dog

Oh my god I am in love!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Love my pets

What an absolute cutie!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Felurian

I read an article about a woman who took in a deaf APBT pup and taught him - not hand signals - American Sign Language! He responds to more than just the signals of the hands, but also to the facial expressions - it's infinitely more flexible and gives him far more communicative contact than hand signals

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

Thanks I'm sure training him regular obedience won't be a problem, but I wonder about other dogs. Do you think it would be better to place him in a home with other dogs, or not?

Someone told me to place him in a home with dogs, because he'll learn how to manage everything easier. On the other hand, He can't hear the other dogs whine when he gets too rough, or growl when he gets too in-your-face. That worries me a bit.

Fleetwood Mes Yeux Vigilant CGCA RE TDCH TDI and Shed Antler Dog!