Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Anyway, yesterday I gave her the contact info/names for those two breeders you mentioned earlier in the thread, Lizmo, so we'll see if she can get any word back from them. =>

I hope she hears back from them I've never dealt with them directly, but I know that Scott Glen has won the National Finals once (or more?) with his dogs.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 PM
and Fozzie B!

IMHO, ANY BC breeder who tells a potential puppy buyer that ALL of her pups must live on a farm... is ridonculous and should not be trusted for advice! D=

I like the first breeder, at face value. It sounds as though the dogs work on a daily basis, even though I only see dogs working geese. I would investigate Bur Hill further (particularly to get some health testing info), and completely disregard the other 2 breeders. I wish her the best of luck!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-22-2008, 02:46 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo
ridonculous

(Yes, that is all I have to contribute to this thread. But I really enjoyed reading it!)
Old 04-22-2008, 08:16 AM
BSL Can Be Beaten

Default Try this breeder - Derby Ny - but the lady is from ON

She has some awesome imports; her dogs have been on a number of flyball teams, I've met a number of her dogs; very well behaved, very laid back, but she also used to show with the performance troupe that demos at the Toronto Sportsman's show.
Health tests; flyball, agility, herding; very nice dogs; if I even remotely wanted a BC; I'd get one from Kim.

POWERTRIPP BORDER COLLIES
http://www.powertripp.org/home.cfm

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Let it be

From my experience with the breed (which is limited to my own personal dogs, my dog's relatives, and dogs I have randomly bumped into) my boys and their family seem to be the most easy going Border Collies I have ever met who still have drive to them. Even Spanky, who has a harder time controlling himself, still controls himself way better than most BCs. Their parents never stepped foot on a trial field or an agility course. The dogs on the farm they came from are strictly working dogs. From sun up to sun down, rain or shine, ever day kind of dogs who give it their when they are asked to go to work. Yet my two are perfectly happy being pets. I do not need acres upon acres to keep these two happy. They have an off switch. This is what I consider ideal. A dog who is willing to work but is also able to follow your lead when you say the job is done.

That is why I would never go out and buy a sport bred Border Collie. All the desirable traits of a working dog are desirable in a sport dog but not always the other way around.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:26 PM
woof!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
From my experience with the breed (which is limited to my own personal dogs, my dog's relatives, and dogs I have randomly bumped into) my boys and their family seem to be the most easy going Border Collies I have ever met who still have drive to them. Even Spanky, who has a harder time controlling himself, still controls himself way better than most BCs. Their parents never stepped foot on a trial field or an agility course. The dogs on the farm they came from are strictly working dogs. From sun up to sun down, rain or shine, ever day kind of dogs who give it their when they are asked to go to work. Yet my two are perfectly happy being pets. I do not need acres upon acres to keep these two happy. They have an off switch. This is what I consider ideal. A dog who is willing to work but is also able to follow your lead when you say the job is done.

That is why I would never go out and buy a sport bred Border Collie. All the desirable traits of a working dog are desirable in a sport dog but not always the other way around.
So the working dogs are calmerd than the sporting ones?

How are the show BC? I just want to now.

I newer have meet a BC in person, but they seem to be to hyper for me .
Old 04-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Let it be

I don't know if calmer is the right word. Maybe self control is a better way of explaining it.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
I don't know if calmer is the right word. Maybe self control is a better way of explaining it.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Let it be

I'm glad that it made sense to someone who owns a BC. I was worried I sounded like a babbling fool.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Water Junkie

No, no....how can talking about Border Collies be babbling?

l ~Jennifer~ l