Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Default BC breeders, Ontario-wise?

I have a friend who is about to move into her first home and she is now ready to get a dog, after having lost her childhood dog (a BC mix) a while back to old age. She wants to do agility at least, maybe also Disc Dog or Flyball.

So far these are the breeders she's contacted - I don't think she has heard back from them yet, she just e-mailed them a few days ago.
http://www.burhillbordercollies.com/
http://www.tntbordercollies.com/
http://www.moyhall.com/

Anybody up that way have opinions on these breeders? Or do you have another recommendation for her that I can pass along?

TIA for any help!! =>

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Just try me..

I don't know any of the breeders personally but I have met a couple of the TNT dogs, and they are very nice drivey dogs.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Water Junkie

Hmmm.

If I had to go with 1 of the 3 you listed. It'd be the 1st one. They are the only ones that seem to breed working dogs.

Of the other 2.....neither.

I know there are a fwe working breeders in Canada.....

Scott Glen in the Alberta Canada.

Amanda Milliken in the Kingston, ON, Canada.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Crazy Dog!

Just scanned the website.

Site #1 - no listed titles on any dogs, the only dog with listed health tests is the male, and all the breedings they are doing are to their own stud dog. 9 times out of 10 the best stud for your bitch is not in your backyard.

Site 2- titles and health checks listed for each dog.

Site 3- titles and health checks listed for each dog.

Would your friend consider a rescue for her next dog or is she set on buying from a breeder?
Old 04-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Water Junkie

Just because they don't list the health testing they have done, doesn't by any means mean they don't do it.

Quote:
and all the breedings they are doing are to their own stud dog. 9 times out of 10 the best stud for your bitch is not in your backyard.
I definitely, do NOT agree with this.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Are you dead yet?

Would she be willing to consider a rescue?

I'm not sure if I'd buy from any of those breeders. The first one doesn't seem to do much with their dogs, I don't see much evidence that their dogs work stock or participate in any sports. The other two look like sport breeders, just not my kind of dogs...
Old 04-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I know dogs from one of those three kennels. Drivey drivey dogs.. who rock the sport world.. and I haven't met one with an off switch so far.. One is so high strung he nearly went through a second floor window when he couldn't settle one day. The day before it had been just screen, that day the window was shut.. thankfully for him. I'm not sure about the other breeders dogs.. but the lack of settling ability when not working (and having been stimulated enough that they should settle) is a big turn off.

It's actually why I have always hated JRTs with a passion... Seems I only met badly bred ones.. as Dekka's settle indoors when not doing anything.. Lack of off switch is an issue for me. Not sure if it would be an issue for your friend.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 04-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

At this point, I think she really wants to stick to dogs from a breeder. Her old dog was a rescue, and she will probably rescue for her second dog, but right now, she and I both agree that a breeder dog is the best move for her at this point.

The lady from TNT got in touch with her and told her that she doesn't recommend her dogs to anybody without a farm because they are so extremely drivey, so I think she's pretty much crossed that one off her list. (Was TNT the kennel with dogs without an off switch, MafiaPrincess? I'm guessing they are...) TNT recommended Moy Hall to her, though, so she's checking them out further. She's also going to a flyball tournament next weekend... I think she's going to find out a LOT more just by talking to people at the tourney.

I know none of the breeders fit what I'd like to see in a sheltie breeder so I understand everybody's hesitations or raised eyebrows. I like to see titles in confirmation, herding, AND agility... proof that the dog looks like it should, does what it should, and can perform in the sport ring too. I think if she could find a BC breeder like that, she'd be more than happy with her dog.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Yeah it's TNT. I just didn't want to talk badly about people I don't think badly of.. if that made sense.

What part of Ontario does your friend live in? She might want to meet some people in a few different sports, see what people have to say. There's a ton of AAC agility in Ontario, if she's local to any of it she might have fun hanging and talking to people there too.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 AM
Just try me..

I wouldn't worry TOO much about lack of conformation stuff. It was only last year (against much fuss from most of the BC breeders) that they BC was put back into the CKC. Herding is good though.