Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Felurian

The right obedience class - preferably a puppy kindergarten of some kind - that uses ONLY POSITIVE training methods would be great for her, and for you! Especially if your husband will take her to some of the classes as well, since she has some fears around him. That will help the two of them to bond and reinforce the idea that he's a loving family member, not a big scary one with a low voice.

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt to find some kind of treat that she really, really, really loves and use it to reinforce the times when she is interacting normally.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Active Pup

Thank you! I never thought about a puppy kindergarten. We do use treats to help with potty training, car rides and when it's time for bed - so she will get in her bed on her own. We still put her in the bathroom at night so she won't get into things. The treats work great.

Can you help me with the submissive peeing? I'm sorry, this is my husbands and I first puppy..
(well, we had one but she was defective....my friend gave a chihuahua but the dog shook all the time and snipped at me constantly so I gave it back to her)

I haven't gave up hope on this puppy, I believe that she will be a good puppy.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 AM
RedyreRottweilers

YES YES YES get this puppy out somewhere to meet people EVERY DAY. Use treats. IGNORE fearful behavior. Do not console her either by touching or verbally for displaying fearful behavior.

ENCOURAGE any behaviors that she displays that are NOT fearful.

I might begin just by taking her somewhere that people pass by and feed her treats. Repeat often, and get into a class. At 20 weeks your window of socialization is almost closed, but if you start now and work properly on a DAILY BASIS, you can help her some probably.

Not consoling her for fearful behaviors is VERY IMPORTANT.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni2807 View Post
(well, we had one but she was defective....my friend gave a chihuahua but the dog shook all the time and snipped at me constantly so I gave it back to her)
I'm concerned and a little offended that you called your chihuahua defective. I really hope that you were joking. Chihuahuas need a lot of socialization and interraction with people, even more so than many other breeds, otherwise they will be nervous around people and shiver out of nervousness. Also they don't have as much fur as many breeds, and get cold easily, and shiver just like you and I do. She was probably snippy toward you because she was scared of you - again, could be lack of socialization. There's not much difference between the chihuahua snipping at you and your current dog cowering and submissively peeing.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:12 PM
Active Pup

Yes I was joking about her being defective, the friend that gave me the dog, as I later found out would breed her's with a Chihuahua down the street just to have puppies to sell. The dog, as I also found out after I got it was less then 6 weeks and should not been without her mother yet. So I gave the puppy back and told her that it still needed his mother. The puppy was just not ready to be on it's own and I did not know about all this before hand.

The difference with this dog is that it is old enough and should not be this fearful and I am doing all that I can before it is too late. I love this puppy and it was my decision to get and I am asking you all for advice that would help.

Please don't be so defensive with me, I love animals as well as all you do. I was just making light of a situation that I was very upset about in the past. I have done a lot of homework but I also know that life expierence is the best expierence that you can have.

RedyreRottweilers, I did take her to Petsmart and walked around today to get her around other people. She did do really well, I do know that some people were nervous though, about her being so nervous. My husband and I are planning on putting her in a class there just to get her more socialized. She is very trainable and no issues with that (except leash training). I was proud of her and gave her lots of treats.

Thank you RedyreRottweilers for your encouraging words! I appreciate that!
Old 04-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

Keep us posted on how she does in the puppy classes!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Active Pup

Will do, we should be getting her in the next classes that come up but till then we will be meeting a lot of people.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Top Dog

I have a sheltie that was quite timid as a pup. We've had our issues but have taken her for obedience and agility training and we also hired a behaviourist---best money I ever spent.

I think the classes helped with her exposure to other dogs and stimulus around her and the behaviourist had some excellent suggestions and explanations for helping my dog.

I think the behaviourist was about $300 or so. That's for weekly classes and four private visits.

I never thought of asking my vet for training advice. It's kind of like asking my dentist about my stomach pain To me, the vet is trained in health, not behaviour.