Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Active Pup

Unhappy Timid Puppy

Hello, I am new here, I stumbled across here looking for information about my puppy. I am very concerned about her behavior. When we got her we met with the lady in a neutral area and looked at the puppies that she had. They all seemed a bit scared and I just thought that it was probably their first car ride.

Now the sad part is that my puppy is a very skidish and timid puppy. One minute she seems fine and playful then the next I could call her (very sweetly) had she pees herself. Also she can be playing fine and the next she cowards to us and wants nothing to do with us. I am very concerned about her behavior, I have two small children and I fear that with such uncertain behavior that she might end up biting us out of her fear.

She is a 20 week Pit Bull/ Boxer mix. I love her and have done everything to try to socialize her, not rush, and try to build her confidence. I just know that she is going to be a big dog and worry about her one day snapping.

I would greatly appreciate any advice any of you have. Please know that i love my puppy, I am just being a Mommy also. I have done a lot of reading and research on puppies, I just thought that she was being shy from the car ride.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

I'm sorry that you have this problem ! Hope you get some advice here . This is a good lesson for all though !!!! Go to the breeder's home !!! What you see is what you get !!! Never get a pup ( except through HS or rescue ) if you can't see where it was brought up !! How old is this gal ???

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Top Dog

How old was she when you got her?

I would definately try to find a trainer/behaviorist who can come into your home and observe her personally. It's impossible for us here to be able to see how severe the fear is (although you did describe it well), because so much relies on subtle body language that non-professionals are not good at noticing. She's still young, but at this age the socialization period is closing very quickly, and if she is still doing this when she is past that period, it will be immensely more difficult to fix.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Active Pup

I got her when she was 15 weeks, so have had her over a month. When I think that she's getting better she ends up getting skiddish and cowarding to us. She is really bad with my husband, I don't know if she was treated poorly by the people that we got her from or what.

I feel horrible, now my children are fond of her and my husband doesn't trust since her behavior changes so rapidly. I just pray that there is hope or do I need to find a home for her that doesn't have small children as we do. My husband fears that since she has a lot of fear in her that she may end up biting one the children.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

It's certainly possible that it's something very subtle that you or your family is inadvertently doing to make her scared of you, and it's certainly possible that it is a behavior that can be managed or fixed completely. You can find a trainer search on www.apdt.com, or google "applied animal behaviorist" for a behaviorist.... Or ask your vet to recommend someone (don't ask your vet for training advice).
Old 04-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
Or ask your vet to recommend someone (don't ask your vet for training advice).
Why wouldn't you ask your vet for training advice?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela's mom View Post
Most vets know very little about training. I have come across vets that tell their clients the strangest things when it comes to behaviour. Vets know a lot about health, disease treatment, etc etc. Very few know behaviour.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela's mom View Post
And what advice they do give usually comes from their own experience with their own dogs, they actually study almost nothing about dog behavior in vet school. Most non-professional trainers who are regulars on this forum know a LOT more about dog behavior and training than vets do.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

If she had more than one pup at this age , something is definately wrong with her breeding !!! I'd try to visit the home ! Obviously they were not socialized which screams puppy mill to me !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-20-2008, 08:05 AM
Active Pup

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. If there is hope that she can get over this timidness, my husband and I won't give up on her.

She is a very smart puppy, already potty trained and she does want to please us. I just to help build her confidence up so that she is not so timid.

Do you think taking her to a obedience class will help with her confidence building and socialization?

My husband and I love her, we just want to do what is best for her. Please, if you have any other ideas that could build her confidence up, please let me know.

Thank you all for your help and advice!

Jenni