Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Active Pup

Smile looking for new breed

Hi! i dont have a dog yet but i reallywant one! my mom says there too much work but i was wondering if anyone out there has heard of the breed coton de tulear???? does anyone have one??? i need info on them from actual owners! i need replys!thnnx!
Old 08-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Puppy Dog

hmm...can't say that I have heard of that breed...but what other breeds are you considering?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Top Dog

Definately make sure everyone in the family wants a dog. They ARE alot of responsibility...which means thay need to go outside for a walk at least three times a day...get their dose of exercise...vet bills might come into play at one time or another...food is an added expense..you need to spend time with the animal....that isn't an option. If you know you have to go to school and work and won't be home for much of the day..and then want to go out with your friends..your dog would be alone most of the time...will there be someone else at home to take care of it and let it outside?

You should do some heavy research before ever getting a dog. If you are keen on getting one, make sure you don't buy from a pet shop as many pet shops get their dogs from puppy mills. If you go to a breeder, you need to do your research to make sure he/she is a responsible and reputable one. There are great articles online on how to tell whether you have chosen the right breeder or not.

You probably have quite alot of reading to catch up on before you make the final decision..because for all you know you might not be ready for a dog just yet. Good luck
Old 08-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Big Dog

i was reading a thread posted by Serena earlier this summer and i thought it would be helpful to you in finding a reputable breeder- give it a look!! dogs are a lot of fun and i can't imagine not having a dog, but they definitely take a lot of time and hard work, although it certainly pays off! good luck in your decision!

what to look for in a breeder - CLICK!!
Old 08-11-2004, 07:38 AM
Felurian

Perhaps a point of negotiation could be adopting a more mature dog from a shelter or rescue organization. Puppies are a lot of work; I can understand why your Mom wouldn't be thrilled about taking that on, but a dog who's already over the labor intensive puppy stage.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Perhaps a point of negotiation could be adopting a more mature dog from a shelter or rescue organization. Puppies are a lot of work; I can understand why your Mom wouldn't be thrilled about taking that on, but a dog who's already over the labor intensive puppy stage.
I'd have to agree with you there. There are alot of dogs out there that are absolutely wonderful..and need good homes...
Old 08-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Active Pup

Check this out
http://www.coton-de-tulear-dogs.org/

They are rare, which can also mean expensive, one breeder was selling pups
for 900.00 and up.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:45 PM
Active Pup

If you wanna save money get a bichon frise which is a lot like it and more common.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:58 PM
Are you dead yet?

I don't think you're going to find too many Coton De Tulear owners.. They're extremely rare.

Urbanskidogs, $900 is dirt cheap for a Coton. They typically sell for $1500+.

You should talk to your mom about dogs some more, and better educate her. True, puppies are more work than grown dogs.

However, if you consider caring for a dog to be "work" then you probably shouldn't own one.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:01 PM
Ilio

my family owns an italian greyhound, and we LOVE it. our dog goes to the bathroom in a litter box, does not need much grooming and is very easy to train and handle. Most igs (that is their nick name) are very shy but if you have them around people alot they will be the oppisite of shy. I hope this advice will help you.
LilyRose