Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Felurian

Good posts, Stirder . . .

I've had a Shep since I was twelve and can't imagine life without one, no matter what other dogs I have. Some have been pure-bred; two have been mixes. Personally, I HATE what has happened to the modern German Shepherd. I love the old farm German Shepherds; the ones that fit the 'old' standards . . . 65-80 pound dogs, none of those silly, swoopy hindquarters, sturdy chest, not too leggy . . . the kind you only see now bred by the old farmers who only breed to have their own working dogs and have been doing it for decades upon decades.

I've wondered if the dogs bred from Rin Tin Tin's line have maintained the old lines, or if they too have succumbed to all of the "improvements."

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-09-2005, 10:10 PM
stirder

bigdog, thats true. some breeders dont allow the pups to go to new homes untill even 14 weeks, but that is rare. they do still get socialization and skills from their siblings and mother, but the most important is done by 9 weeks. also when they stay untill 10-14 weeks, they become more bonded to their siblings and the breeder. its hard to say what is exactly right, but they shouldnt be homed untill atleast 9 weeks old. personally if I bred a litter Id have a hard time ever letting them go.
actually the original type shepherd is still very common. it is non-existent in american lines but a lot of breeders in american have german lines. the german working lines are the closest to the original type. my last gsd was a carbon copy of the first ever registered gsd. he was imported from germany. the male I have now is a german showline dog. hes not exactly original type, but he has the large bone structure and straight back of the original type. Im going to post a few pictures of him here, and then I will paste on a couple of websites of kennels who breed true german shepherds, not the american shitherds.
his back looks a little sloped in this picture, normally it is almost level. he is a belgian import from german showlines, deffinetly show quality and has proven his working ability...

this just shows how happy he gets...

shows his big head, certainly not the refined weak head of the american lines...

this one I just like to show off...

and here are a couple of sites...
http://users.pandora.be/daelenberghutte/index2.htm

http://www.whirlingthunder.com/

and actually beware of ads saying old style large boned oversized german shepherds. these are typically larger than they were ever supposed to be, and more prone to health problems, and bred only for size.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Top Dog

Good posts !!! I haven't bred in 12 years, but through my " Puppy Bible" did everything ( plus more) any GOOD breeder should do. My pups were ready to move on at 8 weeks. Weaned, eating well, all puppy shots, worm checked ( never had any of over 100 pups....Mom's were checked before breeding ), on puppy heart worm, socialized with each pup inside at least 1/2 hour a day, paper trained and each evaluated for personality. They were vet checked at 2 days old, and before their 1st shots.Now anyone considering having a litter, that's at least 2 hours a day per pup. AT the beginning.......from 5 weeks on, each pup got 15 mins. a day one on one...grooming, nails, loving etc. Sorry to carry on..... I miss having babies !
Old 07-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Big German Shepherd

Your shepherd's beautiful, stirder. Rocky comes from German show lines as well.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:30 PM
stirder

I figured from the bottom pic on your signature that he was either german working or show lines, at that age and sometimes as adults its hard to tell between the 2. hes a pretty (or should I say handsome) dog.
and also to anyone thinking about breeding, unless you are very iresponsible, you will not make any money. its rare for a good breeder to ever even break even. they do it because its their passion and hobby.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

BigDog... you know with me Rocky rules !!! I know you don't plan to breed him.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:09 PM
stirder

he's only 6 months old? he cant be ofa certified untill 24 months. is there a reason you dont plan to breed him? not saying you should or shouldnt, just wondering.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Big German Shepherd

I probably won't. Mostly because I don't have the money to go through all the health tests and such. And I doubt it will be that much better 2 years down the road.

And with that, I would be an irresponsible breeder. I know nothing about breeding. Of course, I could learn. But I really do doubt it would happen. He's going to get neutered soon actually.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:43 PM
stirder

good answers. it is expensive, and a lot fo work. if you dont plan on breeding then neutering is deffinetly a responsible way to go.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:09 AM
Puppy Dog

Thanks everyone for the replys. We have a border collie at the moment as well. I set up this account when we were doing jack russells. We don't no more. We like GSD's much better. They are a real dog to us. Anyway, today we went to the CAWA show. It was pretty cool. We looked around at a couple of people's dogs and watched some classes. We are getting as much info as we can about the breed. The GSD pup we get will be living outside and inside. Our border collie does the same. Its just in winter when they're all muddy he's not allowed inside. But, as we have 6 people in our family who often go for walks, both the dogs will be out and about every few hours. And yeah, we're not gonna go for the "left overs" as some of you call them. We're having a look at a breeder down south this weekend. They have two litters. One which is 4 weeks yesterday and 1 which is 6 weeks yesterday. We really like the look of the pictures.
Cya