Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Puppy Dog

Smile About to buy a GSD

Hey. I'm looking around at GSD breeders for a pup. Just a few questions... What is the average price for a pup? I don't wanna get ripped. Best time to take a GSD pup home? Does anyone else have a GSD? Could anyone tell me a bit more about them? We have a huge backyard suitable for a German Shepherd. So thats all good. Yeah. Thanks. I'll be posting some pics in a couple of weeks when we get her
Old 07-09-2005, 08:04 AM
Top Dog

Ok, first thing, you really need to learn about the breed when you get a dog. So, I suggest you go to google and do a search on german shepherds and spend a day reading whatever comes up.

Next, make sure you get your dog from a responsible breeder (check the post at the top of the forum). Then, it will probably take longer than a couple weeks to get her if you go through a responsible breeder, as they don't have litters all the time.

I suggest you look up the GSD club and get addresses from there.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

" How to Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " tells you how to evaluated a litter for the best pup for you.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandStone_Kennels
Hey. I'm looking around at GSD breeders for a pup. Just a few questions... What is the average price for a pup? I don't wanna get ripped. Best time to take a GSD pup home? Does anyone else have a GSD? Could anyone tell me a bit more about them? We have a huge backyard suitable for a German Shepherd. So thats all good. Yeah. Thanks. I'll be posting some pics in a couple of weeks when we get her
you should read what i wrote back to you in my thread "is my puppy too little" in puppy forums, because i think you should know what i have to say to that comment.
as for a gsd puppy good luck with that, there are so many to choose from!
Old 07-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Felurian

First, check out the stickied thread here http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787 to help guide you in choosing a breeder.

Eight weeks old is really the minimum age for a GSD, 10 to 12 weeks is great.

I'm assuming you're only mentioning the backyard as a place for your GSD to be able to play and exercise in a safe, contained area, not as its 'home.' A German Shepherd is a dog that needs lots of time with it's people - in the house. They don't do well when left on their own in the backyard, but then, no dog really does.

I'm afraid I'm no help on pricing, as all of mine, with the exception of my first GSD pup, have been rescues.

Just curious, what other dogs do you have? I ask because your call-name, "Sandstone Kennels" implies you have other dogs or you operate a boarding facility.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Big German Shepherd

I was wondering the same thing...
Old 07-09-2005, 03:59 PM
stirder

well lets see, where to start??? some of this you may already know, hopefully some of it will be new info that will help you. 1st off to answer your 1st question...price depends on what you are looking for. do you want american showlines? (I suggest avoiding those), german showlines, german workling lines, czech lines? heres one site that shows some of the different types http://www.nwk9.com/type_comparison.htm
if you are interested in doing schutzhund, herding, agility, etc I would recommend working lines. if you want to show, showlines of course. just a family dog? Id recommend a breeder who uses european lines, wether working or show. american line dogs have smaller bone structure, smaller heads, and can barely hold their butts off the ground. they are a lot more prone to genetic health disorders.
for a well bred, health garaunteed pet quality puppy you should expect to pay between $500 and $1,200 dollars depending on the lines and breeder.
best time to take a puppy home is not before it is 9 weeks old. and when someone will be home to house train it and bond with it.
I have had gsd's my whole life and have been training them (and other breeds) for over 12 years. you are more than welcome to ask me any questions you want, on here, on the other site I pm'd you, or you can pm me. its hard to just start listing info about them, it would take forever and still wouldnt list it all, and I dont know what you already know.
and a big yard is deffinetly a must, but is this going to be an outside dog??? if so I HIGHLY recommend you stay away from gsd's. as an outside dog it will not be happy. it will be bored, hyper, dig and chew, it will find a way out of the fence, and it will be very difficult to control even on leash. not saying that to hurt you, or to sound like Im reading anything into your post. but there are a lot of people who get gsd's and other breeds, think it will be okay to keep them outside all the time, and then wonder why they cant control their dog. they are absolutely family dogs, and need to spend as much time as possible with the family. like I said, if you do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions you will not regret choosing a gsd.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

It's interesting that you say not before 9 weeks. I personally feel this depends on the breeder. Having only bred goldens and knowing they are better to bond with new owners as close to their 8th week as possible I'd really like to know why GSs are different. Doesn't it depend on what the breeders can do the next weeks ? I personally would not want to buy a " left over" at 9 to 12 weeks if the other pups have gone home. Your are right about the timing considering the 8th week is the " fear and sensitive time " .....I've kept pups longer when they had to be shipped, but brought them in as part of the family. A lot of people are confused by the weeks thing.......49th day of life is the best....I sent home the closest to that day on a weekend when the bonding could start.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:23 PM
stirder

the 8th and 9th week are the most important for them to be around their siblings. they learn social standards from them, such as how to play, how hard they can play before being yelled at by bro, sis, or mom. its very important for their socialization. this is true of all herding and guardian breeds, maybe not with retrievers and other breeds that are not territorial though? I do know that most terrier breeders dont send puppies to homes untill they are 9 weeks old. and it shouldnt be a left over, if you find a gsd breeder who is selling pups before 9 weeks old they are almost garaunteed to have done a lot of other things wrong, such as choosing the parents.
ask the breeder why they bred this litter from these two dogs.
if they say to improve the breed, ask them how this breeding could improve the breed. (improving the breed is the only responsible reason to breed).
ask them what titles the parents have recieved. (titles prove that the dogs have proven themselves as good representatives of their breed).
ask them what kind of health and temperment garauntees they offer on the pups.
ask to see the OFA certifications of both sire and dam of the litter. also ask what grade the rest of the bloodlines got.
once you find a good breeder pick the puppy based on: bright clear eyes, nice soft coat (no tangles etc), clean non-smelly puppy area, clean non-smelly parents areas, energetic, comes right up to you rather than shying away or ignoring you, doesnt mind being picked up (its okay if it wants to be put back down, though not preferable), not smaller than the rest of the litter (females are smaller than males, but the pups should be pretty similar in size as puppies, just like human babies are). ask them to point out the differences between show/working quality and the pet quality puppies. atleast 1 puppy in the litter should be working or show quality, and you should not be able to tell a difference between them even after it is explained.
and if you dont mind my asking, what breeder are you getting one from? if you havnt chosen a breeder yet I'd be happy to recommend a few. feel free to pm me.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirder
the 8th and 9th week are the most important for them to be around their siblings. they learn social standards from them, such as how to play, how hard they can play before being yelled at by bro, sis, or mom. its very important for their socialization. this is true of all herding and guardian breeds, maybe not with retrievers and other breeds that are not territorial though? I do know that most terrier breeders dont send puppies to homes untill they are 9 weeks old. and it shouldnt be a left over, if you find a gsd breeder who is selling pups before 9 weeks old they are almost garaunteed to have done a lot of other things wrong, such as choosing the parents.
ask the breeder why they bred this litter from these two dogs.
if they say to improve the breed, ask them how this breeding could improve the breed. (improving the breed is the only responsible reason to breed).
ask them what titles the parents have recieved. (titles prove that the dogs have proven themselves as good representatives of their breed).
ask them what kind of health and temperment garauntees they offer on the pups.
ask to see the OFA certifications of both sire and dam of the litter. also ask what grade the rest of the bloodlines got.
once you find a good breeder pick the puppy based on: bright clear eyes, nice soft coat (no tangles etc), clean non-smelly puppy area, clean non-smelly parents areas, energetic, comes right up to you rather than shying away or ignoring you, doesnt mind being picked up (its okay if it wants to be put back down, though not preferable), not smaller than the rest of the litter (females are smaller than males, but the pups should be pretty similar in size as puppies, just like human babies are). ask them to point out the differences between show/working quality and the pet quality puppies. atleast 1 puppy in the litter should be working or show quality, and you should not be able to tell a difference between them even after it is explained.
and if you dont mind my asking, what breeder are you getting one from? if you havnt chosen a breeder yet I'd be happy to recommend a few. feel free to pm me.
Really? From what I hear it actually goes up to 12 weeks...