Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Just try me..

And what of people like me who train my dogs to walk a head of me when I am walking a group! Does that mean I am training them to dominate me?! Hmm sneaky little things, they have me totally hoodwinked by all this good behaviour.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Let it be

That's those darn terriers for you. They always find a way to have their owners jumping through hoops.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Show Dog

Jan Fennell needs to get over her 19th century style training methods and theories. Don't waste your money on buying that garbage. Purchase one of the books already mentioned in this thread by authors who actually know what they are talking about.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
If walking out ahead meant your dog was trying to dominate you I'd have to walk for weeks before my boys would even be slightly less than a bundle of woohoo.
Yup...and how do these people who claim the dog is being dominant when he walks in front of you explain why, he then lags behind you after a tiring outing...on the way home? Do they mean that the dog is dominating you on the beginning of the walk and giving up his "hard won" status on the way home.....letting you dominate him on the way home when he is following? Such a lot of rubbish.

Yet another example of the pack theory/alpha zeolets leaping over steps in logic. If the more simple answers don't solve anything, then yeah....go onto the next possibilty and study it. But some of these people are so pathetically flawed in their logic that they search for more complicated reasons like pack theory and hierarchy first and jump to conclusions before looking at the very simple answers that are right there in front of them....like dogs acting like dogs and wanting to go have fun and explore....and have 4 legs and are much faster than humans....and that they haven't been given a better reason to slow down and walk next to the human.

Pack theory and the very specialized hierarchal behavior of a pack animal for training strategy, being attributed to a scavening, semi solitary and occassional packing animal is pathetically unparsimonious and flawed.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Doberluv; 04-17-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

Just wanted to reiterate that I never said I agreed with the book... I was seriously recommended that book by someone on this forum, I even double checked who it was that recommended it.

Thank goodness I didn't buy it. Maybe I'll tuck a note in the library book before I take it back and recommend some of these other books.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to start The Culture Clash or The Other End of the Leash. Those have definitely been recommended more than once.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

If it helps - While they're both certainly wonderful books, I think "The Other End of the Leash" is easier and more enjoyable to read.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

I much preferred the Culture Clash but I find most people I try to get to read it have trouble with it (keep in mind one of these people is 12 and the other is 15 and has no dog background knowledge, I think I'll give her "The Power of Positive Dog Training" when I'm done with it, I think it would be better for what she needs right now), but I think it's a more complete "everything" sorta book while The Other End of the Leash focuses on body language and to be honest I can't remember too much from it but I may have already known much of the information in it. If you were looking for a book on bonding with your dog check out "Bones Would Rain from the Sky" it gave me a whole new outlook on being my dog's partner. "For the Love of a Dog" was very good as well and that is about dog's emotions and understanding, it gives some proof to many of the emotions we have always thought dogs have. If I were you I'd just read them all (that's what I'm doing). If price is an issue ask for gift cards to book stores on holidays and birthdays or see if you can find them in the Library. Here's was my book list from before Christmas I've read all but #6, #3, "Control Unleashed" but I'm only a little ways into "The Power of Positive Dog Training". http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...highlight=book

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!