Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Default Curious about EVO & large breed puppies

I'm just curious about this. I've heard over and over again that EVO is not good for large/giant breed puppies (and even read a couple where it said it's best to avoid even for medium-size puppies), but for the life of me I can't find anything that says WHY!

I've searched through old threads here on Chaz, dogfoodproject.com, and the EVO website. This is something that has been bugging me for a while now because I can't find the answers!

So my questions are these:

-Why is EVO bad for large/giant breed puppies?
-What is considered large/giant breed?
-When is it appropriate for a dog that is considered large/giant breed to start on EVO?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Felurian

It's something about the slow growth of the skeletal structure of the large breeds and the muscle ratio, I believe.

I probably started mine earlier than recommended (they were about a year and a half old) but as they were also getting extra stuff (calf milk replacer, for one) to support their bones and joints I wasn't terribly worried about it. They've done extremely well.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
It's something about the slow growth of the skeletal structure of the large breeds and the muscle ratio, I believe.

I probably started mine earlier than recommended (they were about a year and a half old) but as they were also getting extra stuff (calf milk replacer, for one) to support their bones and joints I wasn't terribly worried about it. They've done extremely well.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of the slower growth in larger dog breeds, so that makes a lot of sense. I wonder if Morgan fits in that category...

Thanks again!
Old 04-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

I've heard that the "cut-off" for feeding EVO as a young dog is around 50 lbs as an adult. If they are going to be smaller than that, you don't have to be as concerned.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I've heard that the "cut-off" for feeding EVO as a young dog is around 50 lbs as an adult. If they are going to be smaller than that, you don't have to be as concerned.
The last time I asked, it was if they were going to be over 50/60 pounds as an adult you should weight until they have matured..

Now, Im not saying that is right for your pup.. (because all dogs are different).. but I switched Chloe to EVO when she was roughly about a 16 months old.. and she has seemingly had NO problems and she is about 2 yrs and 4 months old (she is 52 lbs)
Old 04-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Crazy Dog!

If EVO is supposed to be very close to a raw diet, and wolves eat raw, why is it dangerous? Just never made sense to me. Sounds like the complany just wouldn't want to be held liable if a dog developed hip displasia and was fed EVO. I feed grain-free, but none of my dogs are over 50 lbs.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Big Dog

The problem with Evo and many other grain free foods is the calcium level, as well as other minerals, is entirely too high for a growing puppy and can lead to skeletal issues as well as uneven growth. Puppies are not able to regulate how much calcium their body absorbs so too high calcium levels in food can be dangerous.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Fishies!

Evo RM lists an 8-11wk feeding amount for a 20-30lb puppy. I bet those will be over 50lbs in a year. In fact, they call it all life stages.

Does it meet the standard, but not what some people want?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Twin 2.0

EVO is not meant as an ALS food. The calcium/phosphorus ratios aren't appropriate for dogs that will be over 50lbs as adults.

Why this is different than raw diets, I'm not entirely sure, but it is.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Fishies!

For RM Small Bites, the bag says ALS so someone should tell them that.

I hate dog food. But dogs love it... why can't they just graze like cows.