Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirder
okay, I did answer it. I told you that the gsd is the least dominant of all the gaurdian breeds. wether you choose to beleive that or not is your decision. just remember that Im not the only one posting on this thread whos telling you that gaurd breeds are dominant breeds, and I am basing that statement on a hell of a lot of experience. your basing your disbeleif on what? one dog? I can tell you this, if I had been this reluctant to beleive things my very first training instructor had told me he would have refused to help me train my dog.
okay, Im done trying to help for a while. good luck.
One dog? I've seen and met a lot of GSD's. And you heard Renee, even another user on this forum had domineering problems on this forum during the adolescent years, which is where Rocky is.

Renee said, that guardian breeds are headstrong. I've DEALT with that. I don't have a training instructor.. and you keep asking all these weird questions asking what the problem was that I had earlier, when it's FIXED. It was a simple question and for some reason you had so much trouble answering.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:18 PM
stirder

yes, the gsd is dominant. all gaurdian breeds are. THE GSD IS LESS DOMINANT AND MORE EAGER TO PLEASE THAN ANY OTHER GAURDIAN OR HERDING DOG BREED!!!!
you are the one who said you want a breed that is less dominant than the gsd. logic dictates that therefore you want a non-gaurdian breed.
and wether you are educated enough to understand it or not, the questions I asked are very important.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:29 PM
stirder

the reasons my questions about how you trained your dog, and what problems you had affect my suggestion of another gaurd breed is because some problems will be more prevelant in some breeds, other problems more so in other breeds.
if you tell what the problems were, how you fixed them and how long it took you to fix them that will give me and everyone else a better idea of what problems you will have with another gaurd breed, and how hard it will be for you to fix them.
for example, my new clients often ask this question... "my new gsd only listens to me when he/she wants to, how do I fix it." "tell me how you give a command" "fido...sit? fido!!! sit? FIDO!!! sit???" "its a question and if he ignores it you, you ask again and again. TELL the dog to sit. if he doesnt do it immediately give a small jerk on the collar and place pressure on his rear end"
wether you understand the ways or not there are many people on here who will ask you questions before offering a suggestion. its that simple.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:31 PM
Big German Shepherd

I understand that. Though... thank you for FINALLY explaining why the question was asked. I'd be happy to answer it... not now though... I guess if you're still up to it and chill out, then I'll tell you through PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:57 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyolee
Sheesh. You think a the guardian dogs are domineering......try a herding dog LOL

Casper still thinks he knows best w/ the cattle. I have to remind him even though he's WELL trained and has a few herding titles.
ROFLMAO! How well I know! Most guardian breeds were/are originally dual purpose dogs; drovers as well as guardians, including the German Shepherd, although most people forget that since the AKC has chosen to largely disregard the working abilities of dogs . . .

BigDoggyDaddy, I wish you lived close by - I'd have you working with Filas in no time. When you can work with a Fila, you can deal with just about anything that's intelligent

I think, despite the trials and tribulations you and Rocky have been through together, that you've got the heart and the intellect to deal with just about any kind of dog you'd like down the road. Not yet, but down the road a bit.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Big German Shepherd

Thanks Renee...
Old 07-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

Hey Big...Rocky will grow up to defend you without being a mean dog. Me thinks someone wants to stir-der pot !!!! Got mine boiling when he said Goldens weren't smart !!!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
Hey Big...Rocky will grow up to defend you without being a mean dog. Me thinks someone wants to stir-der pot !!!! Got mine boiling when he said Goldens weren't smart !!!
It's what I was thinking too, Bubba.

But unfortunaetly, a lot of people agree with him. According to him, a lot of people have been PMing him saying that he's completely right and that I'm being ignorant and insane ... oh well...
Old 07-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

BigDogDaddy, being around a GSD pup that is a bit older than your Rocky and a Caucasian Ovcharka I have to say that Gunnar is way easier to keep on track and much more eager to please, I have had very few training problems with him and anything he wasn't getting was because I was teaching it wrong. Katya could care less what I am doing, she takes very little intrest in me unless I have food, else she is busy doing her thing which is being on alert. It is hard to bond with her because of her aloof attitude, she is much harder to train because the motivation is just not there, not in food, play, toys, etc. Nothing is as exciting to her as aggressing a possible "threat" and that is just plain dangerous. I feel much safer working around Gunnar than around Katya. I have owned two pitts, a rottie/shepherd mix, and a springer/pointer mix, Gunnar has been the least avoident of training, he enjoys it more than the others ever did.
I don't want to tick you off, please do not take offense, I am just letting you know what my experience in a GSD versus a gaurdian breed has been. If you were to start researching breeders of the different breeds you were interested in they should be willing to let you know exactly what type of temperment the dogs should have, how they react, etc. Katya came with a written book from the breeder on special training tips etc. due to the "extreme" nature of the dog. Research is your best buddy as you know. Good luck on your search and let us know what you finally decide!

Old 07-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Felurian

Adrienne, the "last bite" thing is a great tool with these dogs - you wouldn't believe how well they respond to it. Once they've taken you as their own their devotion is total - their people are their whole world. The key to these dogs is love.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian