Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Felurian

DoggyDaddy, the guardian breeds are a headstrong bunch - it's part of being a guardian. They have to be able to think on their own and have a spectacular amount of self-confidence in their own abilities. It's not that they are domineering; it's more that you have to demonstrate to them that there are valid reasons to pay more attention to you than their own instincts. It's much more effective - and enjoyable - to relate to your guardian as a partner who is second in command to you . . . They really are the ultimate partners. I am so looking forward to the time when Rocky starts becoming a 'grown up' and all of your effort and frustrations turn into the amazing, close bond the two of you will have . . . You will see that many times you don't even have to speak to Rocky, he'll be so closely on the same wavelength with you that he'll pick up on what you want before you tell him.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Big German Shepherd

Well, like I said it's not a problem now. I've fixed it and I know how to fix it... just that it was kinda difficult but yet it was a learning experience considering I'm a novice owner.

Well, most of it was my fault: at a young age, I let him be free. On the furniture whenever he wanted, on the bed, etc.

He usually ate first and went through doors first, the only thing I did was half-way decent NILIF training... only when I was about to give him food though.

So, I cleaned up my act and went on a different forum where I got wonderful advice and now he's a very calm and obedient dog.

I really don't know how else to put it... I'm looking for a dog breed--preferably a guardian--that will not be as ready to assume the roll of alpha as others... one that's not as headstrong or domineering.

But according to you, such a breed doesn't exist--at least guardian wise. GSD's are the most easily owned dogs apparently. I guess I just suck at being an owner... I really don't know...

This is directed towards: Stirder's post.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Felurian

DoggyDaddy, you don't suck at being an owner. Rocky's turning out quite well. We all made some mistakes with our first dog - or two or three, lol! Fortunately, they're pretty smart and most are better at figuring out what we need than we are at being able to tell them!

You and Rocky had some things working against you from the beginning, most notably him leaving his mom too soon, but you've worked and sweated it out and both of you have learned a lot.

Trust me. Once the two of you get through his adolescent months you'll look back and wonder at the difference. Just ask Debi about Hammie! He just about drove her berserk when he was a teenaged pup!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-08-2005, 05:11 PM
stirder

I'm sorry if that offends you but its true. a guardian breed is going to be somewhat dominant, gsds are less dominant than all others. if you took care of it and its not a problem then you are a good owner, never suggested you werent. but your not telling what the problems were/are with your gsd!!! how old is he/she??? did you train on your own or with a class or with a pro??? what problem sdid you have, are you having, how did you fix them and how long did it take to fix them??? I havnt said anything to attack or belittle you. all I said is that the gsd is the least dominant of all the gaurdian breeds I have worked with, and I have worked with many. that is nothing against you unless you were the one who created all of those breeds. as I have said before, I am more than happy to offer advice, suggestions and share my experience with you, I do that with owners everyday. but that is not possible if you are A: defensive against everything I say. and B: unclear on what experiences you've had with your gsd that led you to believe he/she is domineering.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Border Collies R' Us

Sheesh. You think a the guardian dogs are domineering......try a herding dog LOL

Casper still thinks he knows best w/ the cattle. I have to remind him even though he's WELL trained and has a few herding titles.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirder
I'm sorry if that offends you but its true. a guardian breed is going to be somewhat dominant, gsds are less dominant than all others. if you took care of it and its not a problem then you are a good owner, never suggested you werent. but your not telling what the problems were/are with your gsd!!! how old is he/she??? did you train on your own or with a class or with a pro??? what problem sdid you have, are you having, how did you fix them and how long did it take to fix them??? I havnt said anything to attack or belittle you. all I said is that the gsd is the least dominant of all the gaurdian breeds I have worked with, and I have worked with many. that is nothing against you unless you were the one who created all of those breeds. as I have said before, I am more than happy to offer advice, suggestions and share my experience with you, I do that with owners everyday. but that is not possible if you are A: defensive against everything I say. and B: unclear on what experiences you've had with your gsd that led you to believe he/she is domineering.
He's 6 months old. I trained him on my own. Now, does it matter what problems I've had? From what I hear, they're known as being domineering.

All I would tell you is that he has been domineering with me as a novice owner... I mean, come on... how much more information do you need? I didn't narrow it down because I'm open to different breeds. Listen, it's not hard: A non-domineering breed, one that will defend me if needed (guard dog)--preferably.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:45 PM
stirder

it matters what problems you had so you can explain how you dealt with them, often new owners think a dog is being "domineering" when its really just being a puppy and/or not trained properly. I believe you that you have fixed any problems you may have had, but I wont suggest another breed or another gsd untill I understand you and your training methods better. and Im not the only person telling you that if you think a gsd is domineering, you will find other gaurdian breeds much more domineering.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:46 PM
stirder

as I told you in a private message, m happy to help but you have to be more informative, and less defensive. not telling you that the gsd is less dominant than other gaurdian breeds to hurt your feelings, its just the simple truth.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirder
as I told you in a private message, m happy to help but you have to be more informative, and less defensive. not telling you that the gsd is less dominant than other gaurdian breeds to hurt your feelings, its just the simple truth.
You're not hurting my feelings but I mean, I did deal with them. AND I KNOW, it wasn't him just being a puppy. I'm not an idiot, I did research, I asked for help, I did a lot.

I really don't know why you don't want to believe me.

My training methods, how I stopped it, or anything of that sort has nothing to do with the question.

Find me someone on this forum who does not believe that GSD's are dominant dogs.

Like I said, if I worked 12 years with all sorts of different dog-breeds then of COURSE, the GSD is nothing.

But, I haven't. I'm becoming defensive because you choose not to answer my questions and instead bug me about how my dog was being domineering and how I handled it.

IT SHOULDN'T MATTER! I don't understand why it would... the question is SIMPLE! If you don't want to answer, don't!
Old 07-08-2005, 06:01 PM
stirder

okay, I did answer it. I told you that the gsd is the least dominant of all the gaurdian breeds. wether you choose to beleive that or not is your decision. just remember that Im not the only one posting on this thread whos telling you that gaurd breeds are dominant breeds, and I am basing that statement on a hell of a lot of experience. your basing your disbeleif on what? one dog? I can tell you this, if I had been this reluctant to beleive things my very first training instructor had told me he would have refused to help me train my dog.
okay, Im done trying to help for a while. good luck.