Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

^^^LOL - funny how often this happens - people thing they're training their dogs but it's actually the other way around.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Top Dog

Yes, she had started this dog in agility but stopped when we started to working with her new dog. Plus this dog did flyball and now she is doing Rally with him.
After the fun match, she started to bring him when she comes to train her other dog for agility and we have started to work on her problem with him.
Training her to not repond when he barks at her for attention will be our biggest obstacle, that conditioned reponse is her problem, therefore being a dog problem.
lol she always jokes that her dogs get her into trouble with me.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:40 PM
and Fozzie B!

Wow... I didn't know you HAD a Chihuahua! I hope you can find a more positive method because, as it sounds like you've discovered, a shock collar is simply a band-aid on a behavioral issue. It will only last for so long. It will only work in so many situations. It doesn't actually treat the problem, and I have heard way too many horror stories about shock collars to ever resort to them or trust them.

Amazing post, Carrie!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Lyka_01

Maybe this article may help regarding training dogs with the help of shock collars.... ==>Dog Training Guidelines
Old 04-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Wow... I didn't know you HAD a Chihuahua! I hope you can find a more positive method because, as it sounds like you've discovered, a shock collar is simply a band-aid on a behavioral issue. It will only last for so long. It will only work in so many situations. It doesn't actually treat the problem, and I have heard way too many horror stories about shock collars to ever resort to them or trust them.

Amazing post, Carrie!
I enjoy large dogs as well as small dogs. They do have a special place in my heart!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
I hope you can find a more positive method because, as it sounds like you've discovered, a shock collar is simply a band-aid on a behavioral issue. It will only last for so long. It will only work in so many situations. It doesn't actually treat the problem, and I have heard way too many horror stories about shock collars to ever resort to them or trust them.
Daisy must be the exception to the rule. We had a behavior issue with her dive bombing the back door- literally shaking the entire room as 100lbs of dog launched at the door to get our attention to come in. We tried all kinds of ways to prevent her from doing this, but because it always happened when we were inside, often not in the room, we had to take drastic measures. Not only was it a behavior issue, it was potentially dangerous as the door she was diving at is all glass. I borrowed an e-collar for a week from someone I know. I put her outside, as soon as she started to jump at the door, I zapped her hard, with almost the highest level the collar could do. It scared the crap out of her, and guess what? She didn't jump on the door again that day. The 2nd day, same thing. She has never jumped on the door since that 2nd day. Problem solved. The next step was to prevent her from breaking down the screen door to get outside. I went outside with the other dogs, and left her inside. As soon as she jumped at the door, I zapped her. It took one time for that behavior to stop. She's never done either again. Once we had the behavior stopped, we taught her how to ring a bell to come inside, and she taught herself that if she goes to the door and noses the handle to jiggle it, she'll be let outside.

I don't think an ecollar is something you should do for general obedience training, but for behavior issues, if you've tried other ways and they haven't worked, it's a good tool.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:13 PM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
If he yipped and it was obvious that he was in pain, then you have the collar on a setting thats too high for him. If none of the lower setting seem to work for him, then the shock collar isnt the way to go. Maybe you can try one with an unpleasant noise instead?

Its not good that your other dog is attacking him like that. All thats going to do is make him into a nervous wreck.

I hope everything works out for you!!!!!!
It automatically goes up in settings, he hasn't hardly barked more than once since. He barks once and then stops. Which is great.
I pushed and pushed and pushed with training, but nothing is going to work unless my whole family got on board... and ofcourse, they wouldn't. Plus he barks when we are away, something we can't fix if we arn't there. I'm not trying to give us an excuse, I hate it, I wish we didn't use it. And its not something I'd do again unless necesary.

As for Buster, he's stopped now, he is back to normal. I think it must have been that one time? God I don't know. I know its not good what happened, and I don't justify it either. But it happened, and it hasn't happened since. Buster is a snarky *******, I can quite easily see him taking advantage of a moment of vulnerability.

Like I said before though, I don't like it. But I'd rather it then loose our dogs.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Once we had the behavior stopped, we taught her how to ring a bell to come inside, and she taught herself that if she goes to the door and noses the handle to jiggle it, she'll be let outside.
I'm glad the ecollar worked for you, but for anyone reading this who has a similar problem - maybe you should START by teaching the dog to ring a bell, and he'd learn to prefer that than slamming the door.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
I didnt know walmart carried them either. It was only 40 bucks. BUT, I am going to get on the net and look for a bark collar that isnt remote controlled. Thats the only problem I have with the one from walmart.
I'd be EXTREMELY careful when looking into these. My mom bought one when the corgis were younger and barking A LOT and she thought she would be putting it on them (YEAH FRIGGIN RIGHT!). Anyhow, it wasn't a cheap one, but all you had to do was set it with a little force on the ground and it would go off. Like if a dog lowered it's head too fast to the ground it would go off. For a while I kept it hidden in one of my dresser drawers (away from my mom in case she decided to give it a try) and every time I shut the dresser drawer it would go off. That's not teaching the dog anything and hurting/confusing them in the process.
FYI: We did use a citronella collar on Mollie when she first came to us (my little sister was a baby, so it's much like your situation) and it worked wonders.

Carrie, it's great to see you around again. And as usual.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 AM
Show Dog

I haven't read the thread, but an electric collar for a Chihuahua? a-friggin-mazing. Where is that roll eyes icon when you need it?