Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Active Pup

Default Rescue Pup--Feral Dog Advice Needed

I am foster parenting this 7 mo shep pup. The vet confirmed the age.

She has all the behavior trends of a feral dog;
She may jump and freeze every time I touch her. She wants to live in hiding, under furniture or in a closet.

I have a large crate and she will gladly enter. She will stay there forever it seems unless I pull her out to go outside.

When outside, she will walk slowly and do her business. Yet, she is always a step away from running to safety. If she gets off her leash, she will look for the house entrance (sliding glass door).

She doesn't eat or drink much, at least once a day.

She has been fixed and the stitches come out in a week.

Any tips for consistent care?

Can I let her hide in several places in the house or just the crate? She has her favorite hangouts.

Will any lease training help?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Love my pets

I think a lot of patience is needed. I would try sitting/laying down on the ground near her with some treats and see if she will come out on her own. She's definitely unsure of where she is and what is happening to her. It's going to take time to gain her trust but with lots of love and time, I think she will come around.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Squishy face

With these dogs, you need lots of time and patience. Do you have other dogs? Sometimes it helps them to be around dogs who are confident and happy - it helps them learn to be dogs.

Just keep her on a consistent schedule, and be gentle with her. Try to move slowly and avoid eye contact (eye contact is seen as threatening). One method people use to get shy dogs used to them is laying flat on the floor (either face down or face up, it doesn't matter) with treats in the hand. The dog gets treats when they come over to sniff you (a lot will, dogs are curious creatures) and this helps them learn you are not a terrible scary thing.

Good luck!

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!