Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Puppy Dog

Default SHould I put my dog down? please advise

well, I have an 8,5 yr old English Bulldog. Over the past two years he has become aggresive with some people. I no longer take him to parks, and no one is allowed to pet him except me. He does have some arthritis, but doesn't seem in pain. He can play some, but not everyday. He doesn't want to be messed with, hye's old. He has bit several time ( my son friend who he doesn't like 19 yr old) and believe me he has wanted to attack and bite other strangers. I watch him and he stays in the fenced yard. The telephone repair man was outside today and Mac went for him almost right through the screened door. I am afraid of a lawsuit or anyone hurt. He sleeps alot, but like I said doesn't display signs of pain. I don't believe in letting him live forever, his days of enjoying squirrles and bird watching are over, I know. Do I put him down peacefully "before" he hurts someone? Please help me make a decision, I trust all of your opinions as great dog lovers. I love hi so much, but hate to see this behavior and I can't watch him when I* am at work and my son's friends are here. You may write your opinion to me directly at [email protected]
thanks so much...

Bully Slobbers,
Krissy
Michigan
Old 07-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Top Dog

This is sad.............. I know you love him, but he really isn't having the quality of life a dog deserves. Neither are you. I'd let him move on peacefully before it's a must by animal control and you are left with guilt if he mauls someone.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Big Dog

I feel your pain, I had to make that choice last Nov. when I let my 8 1/2 year old rottie go to the Rainbow Bridge. She wasnt mean, she was in alot of pain and had no life because of it. I decided to think of her first and me second. Your heart will break but you will know in your heart you did the right thing for him. I now have another rottie I just rescued 6 weeks ago. I wish you well.
Christine
Old 07-08-2005, 01:48 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I agree with the others. it is very sad but you want to do whats best for him. He might not look like he is in physical pain but maybe physical pain is what is causing his aggression. I'm sorry that you have to make a decision like this and I wish you and your baby the best.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:49 PM
My pets love me they do

We also have to make that decision this spring. I have had my brothers English Boxes Dakota now for 3 yrs since my brother died, and Dakota was in pain dialy. He was 13 yr which is unheard of for his breed, but his quality of life wasnt what I would want for myself. I couldnt keep him around just because I missed my brother and that was the last link. I couldnt see him suffer anymore, so we were all together when he drifted off to sleep and was painfree. Good luck in what ever decision you choose, just remember the quality of life of your pet and what would make your pet more comfy

Old 07-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Show Dog

It is very sad and you both will be in our thoughts and prayers.
Have you talked this over w/ his vet? Is it medical or just age? He could be in pain w/o even showing signs. The vet may be able to make his life and quality of life better. He also could tell if his quality of life is not so good right now and might be able to help you w/ you decision.
Sometimes it is very hard to make a decision like this but it truely means that you love him that you can make his life more comfortable or not make him suffer. It's not an easy decision so try to get as much information as you can. Most vets will try to do as much as they can to make life better and they will tell you the truth about the situation.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

My heart goes out to you. Do what you think is right (which deep down I think you do). He's obviously not enjoying life anymore and is probably in pain. Some dogs are just so strong they can't tell us when they're in pain. Let us know what happens. (((HUGS)))
Old 07-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Felurian

Consult with your vet and have him look at your Bully-boy carefully. It could be that he is in pain and doesn't show it - some dogs do that. You are faced with a hard, heart rending decision, so do get the best advice you can from someone who can give you personal, knowledgeable guidance. Whatever you decide for your boy, you're going to have to live with it, and it will be easier to look back and know you've made the best decision possible and be able to think about him without regrets if you'll talk with your vet.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Kelpiefied

I agree with above, only you can make such a decision. I remember when my dearest dog Jaffa was put down when she was fifteen. She had been there when I was born and throught my whole life and I couldn't face life without my "second mother" as I called her. The decision was not in my hands, and I'm glad it wasnt because I would never have been able to make it.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:52 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Mac is over the rainbow...thanks to all of you

thank you for your letters. I know I did the right thing, but it sure hurts. I can't eat or sleep. That was my little hairy friend. I loved him so much. I stayed while he drufted into a world of no pian. There he can chase squirrels again and run. I told him I'd see him again someday when I cross over.

Thanks for your letters, they really helped me.

Bless you all

Bully Slobbers,
Krissy

P.S. I got Sophie the Bulldog over a year ago, knowing I would need her after Mac went. He helped train her, she'll comfort me and I'll comfort her. She's wonderful too.