Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-12-2008, 06:51 PM
just call me Nilly

I'm really glad I went through all the food stuff with my cats, so when I got a dog I already knew what was good or not (though she CAME from her foster mom's already on raw, so I would have been educated either way). The CATS on the other hand... they got Whiskas, Iams, SD (going slowly up the ladder) until I realised what good food really was

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 04-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

Mine were on all fazes of Purina for over 50 years .... the club perks saved me a lot of money .....the last I turned in paid for a $100 . vet bill . Don't forget , I was feeding many Goldens and a $25 coupon was gold to me !! Now that I'm down to one dog , Ollie is on Canidae . I personally see no difference .... but know it's a better food .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Snow Girl

OC was started on Nutro Natural Life Large Breed Puppy then we switched to Royal Canin Holistics then Purina Pro Plan was added as a rotation, then Purina Pro plan got switched with some musher's formula for working sled dogs (forget the brand name off hand), Then we switched to only Wellness Super 5 supplementing with meats (raw and cooked). Then I got a bag of Orijen and a bag of Innova Evo and rotated back and forth between those two while supplementing with only raw meat. Over time my rotation has expanded to include Timberwolf Organics Bison (though not anymore), Nature's Variety Instinct, Innova Evo RM and Horizon's Legacy with a few others on my "hope to try" list such as Taste of the Wild products. Of course we are still supplementing with raw meat too.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 04-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Are you dead yet?

Our first dogs ate cheap crap and table scraps. They weren't spoiled - just working ranch dogs. I regret the terrible diet they had. They appeared very healthy, but I have to wonder just how amazing they would have looked if they were fed top quality food.

Ripley came to me eating science diet, I switched him to Innova and then EVO. Dakota and Dash came to me eating Nutro, I fed them Calnat and Innova, and switched Dakota to EVO at around 8 months.

Zaphod came to me eating science diet, I switched him to Kirkland's lamb and rice food. When he's a bit older, I'll switch him to EVO or TOTW.

Eve came to me eating what she's eating now - prey model raw and EVO kibble.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Your Mom

Wally started on Wellness
Went to Nature's Variety
Then to raw . . . which is where we will stay.

Teeny was on Innova Puppy for convenience issues (she wasn't living with me as a pup) and then was switched to raw at 5 months.

Luckily I had already begun my nutritional education prior to getting a dog so I never started at the super low end (though I definitely don't consider Wellness a high end food).

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 04-13-2008, 01:38 PM
overdogged

When I got Luce I started out feeding her Nutro Naturals. We've been all over the place, everywhere from prey-model raw to Evo to Nature's Variety to Canidae. Usually she and Mushroom eat Canidae, though right now they have California Naturals fish flavored.

Harv started out on Canidae, but it makes him itch. Then I put him on Timberwolf organics. Then on Eukanuba Premium Performance, then Wellness CORE, and now he's back on the Euk, because that's what he does the best on.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Twin 2.0

My first dog at Ol' Roy for years and had a terrible coat. After she contracted a nasty UTI, we switched to Iams, thinking we were doing good. It did make her coat look a lot better...this was before P&G bought them out and REALLY lowered the quality.

Sawyer came to me eating Nutro Natural but he wouldn't touch his bowl, so I switched to Iams (because that's what Meisha did well on), then to Royal Canin after joining Chaz and then to Innova after learning more. We're on Kirkland right now, wanting to go back to Innova and will move to a rotation of TOTW and EVO with prey-model raw when I get it figured out.

Virgo ate whatever the shelter was feeding, probably Iams, was switched to Innova immediately, then to Canidae for my grandmother since it was easier to find than Innova...didn't do so well on that so she went back to Innova, now on the Kirkland like Sawyer. Will be switching as well.

Both get raw chicken quarters as treats fairly often.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Ozzy got Pedigree puppy chow as a pup, and then he got Beneful until I lurked here for a bit and read about better foods.

I was looking because he had some terrible awful gas when he was on Beneful. I swear he was trying to kill me.

Then, after reading on here about how some food sucks I switched him to what Apollo was on because of his allergies, which was Nutro Nautral. Apollo does great on it, but Ozzy hated it.

Right now, hes on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Holistic Blend, or something like that. He likes it alright, but I'm going to be switching him to Innova Evo or Evo RM as soon as the bag runs out.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Island dweller

I started mav on royal canin. then we fed eagle pack for a while and started supplementing raw. Then they were on all raw. And then KS. But I have fed a bag of junk food here and there when it was all we could afford
Old 04-13-2008, 09:27 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Morgan ate Hill's Science Diet at the shelter, and continued on that with us until about two weeks ago. Now he is eating Canidae, and I am considering switching him to Eagle Pack the next time he needs a refill.

Now I'm doing research on switching the cats off of Science Diet... but that's another story.