Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
Obviously you didn't read my post, the breeder you mentionned is anything but responsible. He breeds labradoodles to make more labradoodles, and of course there is no way of knowing that the parents have no health problem - obviously they haven't done any tests.

So, as I said, if you want a labradoodle, get one from someone who will have done tests on both parents at least.
Obviously, you didn't read that web site. I don't always believe what I read but I have a good vibe about them, especially considering my neighbor bought one from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
I'd like to add that you seem like a responsible owner though, just make sure you get your dog from a good place.
Thank you, I appreciate your kind words.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

I did read the site. My first bad impression is that they are breeding mutts and act as if they were purebred. My main bad impression is that nowhere do they mention that the parents have had any tests done. Sure, they are cute and correspond to their standard, but it doesn't mean that they are healthy. Finally, with so many dogs, it's more a dog factory than anything else. They don't have time to give the proper attention and socialization that then puppies require.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:21 PM
no touchy

I'm asking that you reanswer those few questions because your answers were very simple and didn't really explain.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

I'm taking his side there though. I would myself have a really hard time putting a number on how much I can pay every month for food, toys etc.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:24 PM
no touchy

His answers simply didn't give enough information. Retrievers are a medium-large breed, and even with a high-quality brand eat quite a bit every day.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Top Dog

Jason.....I would go the Golden route...through rescue ( you see what you get) or through a very reputable breeder who has history of both lines and has done all the testing.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:54 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Well I have to stick with Jason on this one. There is nothing wrong with the lab poodle cross and i agree that you have to watch who you get it from BUT they can be great dogs JUST like any other mixed breed. My uncles girl is wonderful and fits right into their family situation

Jason if you have done your research on the breeds and have asked yourself the questions that gaddy posted then you do what you gotta do man. As long as you realize that you are getting into a long term commitment here that can't just be undone. As long as you know you can take care of this dogs every need then you don't really need to explain yourself to others.

I also agree that rescuing a shelter dog is a great idea but you have to watch the shelters too. we were going to get a puppy from a shelter and they were going to have him neutered at 8 weeks old. well that doesn't fly with me so i said no that i would get my own dog and have him neutered when he was the appropraite age. I just can't see how THAT is in the puppies best interest. I was a little angry at that whole situation. No way should an 8 week old puppy be neutered or spayed.

But like i said before as long as you have done your research and know what it will take to care for whatever dog you choose then you do your thing. Just for the record though Labradoodles do shed less and have less dander so they ARE less likely to cause problems with allergies. My brother has really bad allergies and he is fine with that dog. Good luck on finding your perfect pet
Old 07-08-2005, 03:56 PM
no touchy

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with mixed breeds - I own two mixed breeds myself - but there is something wrong with purchasing one from a "breeder". My two wonderful mixes are rescues, and they're two of the best dogs I've met.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

Yes, nothing against mixes, I also think that the labradoodles of that site are pretty cool... It's just that asking the price of a pure bred dog for a mutt is a bit much.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:32 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Red face

Oh i agree that no way should that dog cost 800 bucks thats nuts. specially when my beloved mutt cost us $50 and he is the most wonderful dog in the whole world (well in my world anyway) lol

I think mutts are better than purebreds because you are pretty much guaranteed that your dog is going to be original and isn't going to look just like anyone elses mutt

hooray for mutts
Closed Thread