Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I agree with the handler idea. Don't give up just yet.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Oh, it's *you*

honestly some dogs just CANNOT work with their owners...they just care too much about them and any tension or worry and they just wilt. Handlers...the good ones...can get them up and happy and they are masters of not having, or hiding any stress from the dog.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 04-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Lord Cynical

HbH - Ronin's handlers have expressed interest in showing Jack in the past. They've shown and finished Irish Setters, as well as other breeds. Their focus is, of course, Dobes and Sibes but they are good at setters as well.

I don't think Sada can afford a "top" Setter handler, but Ronin's handlers are good people and treat their clients well. Even though they weren't able to do much with Ronin, he did come back more confident and assured than when he left. He showed better, and for more people after he came back.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Oh, it's *you*

That's the most important thing...a positive experience for the dog! I've used handlers and I know the expense can get well...ridiculous, lol.

Even a Jr sometimes esp if a dog likes kids can make a big difference. Cool that there are connections ready to help!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 04-11-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm All Ears

handlers can help as others have mentioned, but some dogs just don't enjoy showing. Rose is one of those dogs. She completely froze up. Of course they never even tried to owner handle her. they sent her as a pup and she just hated it. Her handlers sent her back...

I debated trying my hand at handling her myself thinking she might do better for her owner but just decided against it. I didn't find it remotely worth it. She was getting more confident and I didn't want to send her back to a place that she so obviously did NOT like to be.

We spayed her (she was about Jack's age). I don't think any of us have ever regretted it even though she matured better than I would have expected. To me, my dog's well being always comes first. If they're not happy then no way are they going to go show.

Anything anyone could have wanted from Rose you could get from Beau or Sable so no real loss imo. Rose is so much happier now so I think it's worth it.

Then others like Beau absolutely LOVE the ring. I had no qualms about him going with a handler because he enjoyed it so much. He seemed to think shows revolved around him and he was so good at it.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:46 PM
and Fozzie B!

Sada... yanno, there is no need to rush into neutering, if you are unsure. I'm pretty confident that Jack won't be getting out and producing oops litters. : D So take your time, neutering is great, but it's not a MUST for responsible owners.

I hope Jack gets some wins! Using a handler is a good idea.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Setterz are Betterz!!

Thanks guys!!!

I have honestly thought about using a handler several times (sizzle and I have discussed it more times than I can recall), but I have a feeling that all his other faults would still hinder him.

I have also tried giving him a break from showing (he has only been to one show from June until March and that was in the middle of November) to see if he would start liking it better. And he still moves the same.

So I am thinking that it may be best to just Neuter him. I all ready have him entered in a show and don't want to break points, so I am going to show him. If for some reason he does take the points then I will probably reconsider, but I don't think that will happen. And I don't want you guys to think that just because I don't think he'll get the points means that he's not going to. I have been hoping, praying and, at times, I even thought he might get the points but it has never happened.

So again, thank you all for you considerations and concerns. I haven't fully decided yet, and, fortunately, I do have time to change my mind, at least until I actually take him to the vet. If you have any other suggestions I would gladly listen to them and take them into consideration.

My Website!!!
http://www.freewebs.com/saduryee

Dreyfuss and Jack are members of the...

Thank you Sizzledog for the awesome images!!