Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Setterz are Betterz!!

Default Might Neuter Jack

I have begun contemplating Neutering Jack. I have decided that I will give him Until Mid October to finally do something in conformation, and if he doesn't, he's going to get the snip. I have also thought about getting him snipped after his next show, which is in a week. I think the sooner I do it the better or, as sizzle says, I may not do it. So I think I'll probably do it after his next show instead.

The only problem is I feel that if I neuter him I am some how giving up on him. But I also know that it isn't fair to him to make him show, especially since he doesn't seem to enjoy it very much and loosing isn't good for either of us. And if I don't show him there is no reason for him to remain intact.

So right now I am kind of bummed and am fearing I am making the wrong decision.

Thanks for letting me share.

My Website!!!
http://www.freewebs.com/saduryee

Dreyfuss and Jack are members of the...

Thank you Sizzledog for the awesome images!!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Oh, it's *you*

You could always save a few straws prior if there are things you like about him or a pedigree behind him that is useful or hard to find. That way he's still available.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 04-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Does he just not show himself well or are there some faults or is it more a judge/area problem?

Old 04-11-2008, 09:06 AM
F150 and a .30-06

he is still a puppy right? I would put him away for 6 months. Maybe less. Get him into something else. Just because your not winning everything now doesnt mean you whont be

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Setterz are Betterz!!

I don't think it would be worth it to save any straws. For one if a person wanted to breed into his pedigree they can use his brother. And for another he probably doesn't have many attributes that alot of people are looking for. Plus storing the straws is expensive.

He doesn't like to show to start. I have countless pics of him looking mad in the ring.

He doesn't have very good movement because he is short backed, either that or he just likes to move poorly because he knows it makes me mad. I say he can't help it.

It may be a judge/area problem as well. He has some nice features but the judges don't see them because of his movement and his lack of show drive. I can totally understand because, like his breeder said, your not going to be able to finish a dog that can't move. He may be pretty standing but movement is what's important.

My Website!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Setterz are Betterz!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
he is still a puppy right? I would put him away for 6 months. Maybe less. Get him into something else. Just because your not winning everything now doesnt mean you whont be
Unfortunately he's not a puppy any more. Plus most dogs have at least a point buy the time they're his age. He's just a little over 2.

My Website!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

If he doesn't enjoy it, and you don't enjoy showing him (which sounds like it would be hard to enjoy if he's mad and you're both losing...if he loved it and was losing i'd say keep going but if he doesn't, then what's the point). Weigh the pros and cons. Maybe even take a break from the show ring for a few months and then see.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Have you tried him with a handler? Oftentimes they can get more out of a dog....less emotion for a start can help.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Lord Cynical

Handling is possible Sam, before you make the final plunge - I'm sure Tina and Jim would show him for you, at least for a month or two... since Jeni is showing Sky and Traveler. Tina and Jim could take him to shows that Tammie's other boys won't be at. Might mix things up a bit, since Jack has only ever competed with the same dogs.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-11-2008, 10:54 AM
just call me Nilly

I'd try him with a handler before giving up completley. See if there is any way he can enjoy the show experience. It sounds like that's a viable idea, then if it doesn't work, you know you've tried everything to see if he'd enjoy himself before taking him in for the big snip.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010