Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-07-2005, 04:09 PM
max is mine

Default Pit Bulls

I was just wondering about what people thought of these breeds. I have grown up all my life around pits. I think they are the sweetest dogs in the world full of personality and energy. My grandparents had one and he loved me to death. Always playing, letting my ride on his back tolerated almost everything. One day i got mad at my mom(when i was 3) and bud was sitting there, and out of anger i took it out on him and stomped on his tail...the only thing bud did was look at me and then my mom. He was very protective and never liked it when my brother and i got in trouble he would always step in between myself and mom if i was getting in trouble...that day though, he let me get a whipping. Afterwards...my mom told me to give him a hug and from there he played with me again. I was bitin by a dalmation at a vets office one day after the owner said i could pet him, eventually he gave the dog up because he didn;t want a mean dog. Any how point of this question is that i have a 6 month old boxer/pit mix and wanted to get a pit puppy for max to play with...recently in a town in colorado including Boulder...they passed a law banning pits...even if you already own one...they either have to move or put the dog down. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of any other location doing the same thing because i don;t want to get one with the possiblilty of having to move or get rid of him. I hear colorado is banning them bc of all the attacks recently. I live in Oklahoma and haven't heard anything of that happening here. Also if anyone has any opionions about pits i would appreciate feedback...because maybe there are things i don;t know about them that could possibly be bad, but my experiance with them have been great. Personally i think it's all in how they are trained. And i was also wondering if having two big dogs together is a good thing or not. I only have one dog who is mostly boxer and 1/4 pit. So i was wondering how they might possibly react to one another. Thanks so much-ashlee
Old 07-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Border Collies R' Us

I just posted a thread on another forum about the APBT. It has a lot of great info on the breed. Here's the link: http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.co...7405#post74588
Old 07-09-2005, 11:19 AM
My pets love me they do

You will soon see there is a tremendous amount of Pit owners and lovers. I own a pit she is 20 months old. She is the babysitter for me with my granddaughter and wouldnt have it any other way.

Old 07-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Big Dog

I have heard that if you get another dog, that it is best to get them of opposite sex as there will be less of a tendency to fight. You will also benefit greatly if you spay and neuter them.

Here is a pit bull forum with lots of info and positive training methods.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/index.php

hope this helps
Old 07-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

I owned 2 males and 2 females goldens at one time.....none were fixed . As a breeder I kept a pup of the sex of my eldest dog. I NEVER had even a growl among any of them ( except as a learning procedure ). It all goes back to good socializing .My dogs were all house dogs..( except when in heat, even then I didn't have to separate until 5 days in just for the sake of the males.....)
Old 07-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Playful Husky Pup

I love them own three

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 07-11-2005, 07:39 PM
Top Dog

Own one now and had one in the past. I love the breed, plan on owning more in the future. The only issue that I had with owning them is that we live in a very cold part of the U.S. and in the winter if I tried to walk my pitt or play fetch with him he would ALWAYS cut his pads or tear a nail off. He wouldn't wear the booties, bit them off every time, even with bitter apple spray on them. So I will wait till I move to a warmer climate before I have another. My current APBT is a six year old female, she's too lazy to play in the snow so it isn't an issue for her.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I have a pitbull mix and I love him to death! He is the sweetest most cuddliest dog you could ever imagine. I have other dogs as well but I made sure that I got both females (he's a male) so he wouldn't have a big urge to fight with them. Now he just plays and wrestles with them. I always watch him around mine, and other, dogs but he is really good. I think as long as you get a properly socialized dog and you train them correctly and show them what is expected and what will not be tolerated it would do fine. Good luck!

Old 07-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

I would love to own a pit but sadly my mom is afraid of them... My dad and I try to convince her that it's a loving breed but my mom refuses. Instead I am going to get a Harrier. Do you have a picture of your Boxer/Pit, ashlees? Those two breeds are my favorite...
Old 07-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Richie, just bring home a puppy and she probably wouldn't even know. And if she did finally realize it she would have already fallen in love with it. Or is she a big dog fanatic and would know what breed a puppy is? My mom HATES pits and she still doesn't realize our pit mix is part pit.