Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-11-2004, 02:35 AM
Top Dog

The owner of a local petstore had a Jack Russell named Murphy who would attack any dog that was more than a tiny bit larger than he was. He wasn't kidding around either. My Pit mix Gus was on the leash, and I was taking him inside for a visit, as it was one of his favorite places to go to. We were just going in and Murphy, who had never even seen Gus before, attacked him. Gus was startled and just stood there, and Murphy is yanking hunks of hair out of his neck. I'm trying to back out the door, because Gus is showing signs of getting angry, and Murph's gonna be hamburger if he's not gone, ASAP. Finally, after what seems like a long time, some kid grabs Murph and we get the door in between them and the kid carts Murphy back to the back of the store, snarling the whole time. After that, anytime we came, they had to lock Murphy up in the back room, as he was foaming at the mouth as soon as he smelled Gus. He kept wanting to get into it with Gus, even after a female black lab broke several of his ribs after he attacked her.

My present dog, King gets into trouble with other dogs because he wants to play, and doesn't care if the other dog wants to or not.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:44 PM
Dogs Made Easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbulliest
I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just saying every responsible dog owner should make sure their dogs behave properly and don't get into risky and unneccesary situations.
!! APPLAUSE !!
Old 08-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Are you dead yet?

I agree wholeheartedly with pitbulliest.

When I had my Shiner dog, we were travelling in our RV & stayed for a couple weeks at an RV park. There were many small dogs, and all had rarely seen a dog as big as shiner (Who at 60 pounds wasn't at all huge)

Well, I went for long walks with Shiner every day, and one day this little toy poodle comes running at us, dragging its flexi leash behind it, and jumping, barking, growling and biting my dog. I tried to grab the leash, and it snapped at me as well!

I was pretty po'ed because the owner just sat in his chair and chuckled about it, while my dog was patiently and gently allowing this behavior from the little dog, and then the guy finally sauntered over to pick his dog up and baby-talk to it.

The next day, what do Shiner & I get but the same little dog, attacking her again. Same routine, same dragging leash, and NO apology! The fourth time it happened, the little dog was off-leash entirely, and ran about 100 feet to attack Shiner.

THIS time, however, that dog ran right onto OUR RV space, and Shiner knew that this dog was intruding on her territoty. When the dog tried to attach itself to her throat, she jumped on the little dog and fastened her jaws around its neck. She didn't even break the skin, she was merely reprimanding that unruly little dog for giving her hell on her own property.

Well, that dog screamed bloody murder and the owner came running over and KICKED Shiner right in the head until she let go, and then he grabbed his dog and glared at ME! He then said that if my aggressive animal ever touched his angelic baby again, he'd press charges.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Are you dead yet?

The moral of that story? (Sorry I got carried away and didn't finish, LOL)

Big dogs are expected to be perfect. Little dogs can run around like little heathens and get away with it.

I have a little dog, and if MY dog ever did something like that, I'd run over and correct the snot out of him, and then apologize profusely to the owner of the big dog and be pretty darn happy that the dog was of good enough temperament not to attack the little dog.

You won't always be lucky enough to get an angelic sweetie pie of a big dog for your little one to attack. For both of their sake, keep them on a leash & TRAIN your little dog.

(PS, I don't want to offend you, but I just wanted to point out something from a large-breed fancier's point of view. I'm not accusing you of letting your dog be unruly. )
Old 08-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Dogs Made Easy!

Rip, how you kept your cool, I don't know. I'm afraid there would have been blood drawn! People laughed at me when I wouldn't let Cozy jump up on people or pull on the leash or lunge at other dogs. But she was my first little dog, and so I treated her like a big dog. I firmly believe little dogs should not be allowed to be unruly or bratty.
Kit

Last edited by flyndog; 08-15-2004 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 08-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Felurian

Rip's, it's a real testament to Shiner's temperament that she didn't turn on the man when he kicked her. She'd have been justified; after all, he was in her territory, attacking her and could reasonably be seen as a threat to you!
Old 08-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Are you dead yet?

I'm very surprised that she DIDN'T turn on him, actually. She had a bite history, she's protected me on several occasions.. She was probably in too much pain (the guy had cowboy boots on) to see straight and go after him. Poor girl... I think that incident pushed her aversion to strangers over the edge, because that's when we started having trouble keeping her calm around strangers..
Old 08-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Felurian

Gotta admit, I'd probably have made sure the nasty little thing got a chance to bite me so I could report it and file a complaint. But I can be somewhat vindictive, especially when it affects my critters.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Dog Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena
Sorry you had to go through this Rip's, if it was me the man certainly would be pressing charges, but it wouldn't be against my dogs. He would have to press assault charges on me for when I knocked his teeth down HIS throat.
Ya, I would knock this guy out if he even layed a finger on one of my dogs. I've done it before and I'll do it again.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Are you dead yet?

I would have now as well.

Having a little dog, to me, is a completely different experience than a big dog. When I had Shiner, I didn't have to think about knocking anyone's teeh down their throat because Shiner was ALWAYS watching out for me. I could be oblivious to the world and Shiner would guard me with her life.

Now, Ripley is the fearless, careless one and I've found myself wanting to punch people's lights out more then ever.. It'd have been interesting to see a kid like me throwing punches at a 40 year old man.