Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

Default Lower quality food..........

Spanky boarded last weekend while we were out-of-town. I had measured out his food for each meal and labeled the ziploc bags that I put each meal in for him. My husband dropped him off and forgot to take the food, so he ate their food which is Science Diet.

I knew he didn't care for the Sci. Diet prescription weight-reduction food, but that would have to be tasteless, especially with it being weight-reduction. I thought he liked Sci. Diet, okay, though. He has eaten their food before when I've boarded him.

About a month ago, I changed him to Taste of the Wild (from the prescription food for weight-loss). He gets a report card from the boarding facility, and they check off how he eats. He usually has 'piggy piggy' checked meaning he eats everything they give him. This time he had 'picky picky' checked off.

I would have thought getting to eat a lower quality food would be like a treat to him. I know I would rather, taste-wise, eat junk food than good-for-you food, and I had always thought that it would be the same with dog food...
that it would be like getting candy or hamburgers and french fries as opposed to broccoli and spinach, etc.

Apparently Spanky likes his TOTW because he's cleaning his plate every meal since he's been home.

I would say it could be from being in a new place, but he's very familiar with where he stayed, and he's always eaten well there before.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Twin 2.0

I do'nt know about you, but I'd rather have TOTW and it's meaty goodness over SD and it's peanut hulls.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

Last summer while I was visiting relatives, a cousin of mine offered Dance one of their dog's kibbles (Science Diet). Dance snarled at it and refused to even look at it after, lol. That's happened a couple of other times too with low quality food... and she's a dog who'll eat pretty much anything. So, it doesn't surprise me at all that he didn't want to eat. I know if I were a dog, I'd rather eat TOTW than SD any day!

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Felurian

Kharma is polite. She'll take it, and then wait until she's out of sight to spit it out.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Lord Cynical

Sounds like Spanky is a health food nut... good for him! Ilsa would eat anything if offered, but Ronin is picky. Ilsa would eat poo with sprinkles if you told her it was food...

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Water Junkie

Lizzie's like that too. She'd rather have her EVO or TOTW over some purina

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Top Dog

I think it's just an individual thing. I've heard of a lot of dogs who like one brand over another, many times they'd rather the low-quality stuff, many times it's the higher-quality stuff. I personally am grateful when my dog likes the good stuff!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer does that with the treats the vet tries to give her. Actually all of them do. You can't get them to eat it.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

Well, Spanky has been known to eat poop, so I'm not so sure he's all that much of a health food junky. He also will scavenge. They might have had better luck getting him to eat if they had pretended they were putting it out of his reach!!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Kharma is polite. She'll take it, and then wait until she's out of sight to spit it out.
I have seen Spanky be very polite. At the bank drive through, the teller gave him a dog biscuit. He doesn't like them, but he took it in his mouth and spit it out after we drove off....very polite.

But, I went through a Chick Fil A drive through, and the worker handed him a dog biscuit, and he wouldn't take it. Of course, the aroma of chicken nuggets was all around him. He was waiting for her to offer that. She never did, although she did pass a bag through with some in it!! But she gave them to me, and I didn't share.