Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Big Dog

Yawn! Well, she is still an early early riser. She is pretty consistently making her first time up at 3:30 or 4:00, but then she wants to be up for the day by 5:15. I'm sure eventually she will grow out of it. Right? Right?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 621mum View Post
Yawn! Well, she is still an early early riser. She is pretty consistently making her first time up at 3:30 or 4:00, but then she wants to be up for the day by 5:15. I'm sure eventually she will grow out of it. Right? Right?
Yup. But by the time she grows out of it, you'll have adjusted to it and you won't be able to sleep past 5:30.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 AM
Big Dog

LOL Corgipower! You may be right. Though, after 6 human babies, I can pretty well adjust my sleeping patterns to most anything
Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Yup. But by the time she grows out of it, you'll have adjusted to it and you won't be able to sleep past 5:30.
Corgi! You're not supposed to tell her yet! She's not ready!

Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 AM
Big Dog

LOL! Thank goodness she's not my first puppy, so I'm at least a little prepared. I love your sig pic
Old 04-15-2008, 07:51 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

LOl- well, at least you've experienced a puppy before.... and six kids.

Thanks, Sizzle made my signature for me!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Who, Me?

I will just second what everyone else has said since we just went through this in the last year. Osa would need to go out twice a night for about two weeks and then it changed to once a week for about a month and then she could hold it all night (she was about 5-6 months old).

Just remember too, when you puppy gets a little older, they will start to play with your patience to see what they can get away with. All of a sudden when Osa was about 10 months, she decided she wanted to get up at 5:30 on the weekends (that is earlier than she gets up on weekdays) to go out and then she would try to snuggle since we were up. Once we realized she was playing us, that changed very quickly. Now Osa is a constant 6:45 - 7:00 am riser on the weekends which is about a late as we can get it.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:21 PM
CEO of the Candy Cult

I dont know if you got your answer yet, but I was told when I got my puppy, that they can hold their bladder for and hour times how many months old they are. My border collie puppy got me up at like 5am for the first two weeks, then slept till around 6:30, now she will sleep till around 9. Basically all she does is whine to wake me up, I let her outside, and put her back in her crate. She will go back to sleep after she goes. I have noticed it wasnt just because she was a Border Collie and had a lot of energy and didnt want to sleep. she just REALLY had too go potty

You could try taking her/him out right before you go to sleep, so they have an empty bladder, just to see if that works.

Good luck! I hope you pup stops waking you up so early!

Elusive Psychotic Thrill "Rush" -22 month old Border Collie-

Diane's Fuzzy Wuzzy "Honey Bear" -6 year old mix-
Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Big Dog

Thanks, Bear Luv : )

Our vet says that as well (so at three months, three hours). I don't really mind how often she gets up, it's the fact that after 5:00 a.m. she won't go back to sleep and just whines and whines in the crate. I take her out before I go to bed (around 10:30) and she is good until about 4:30 now most nights. I take her out then and she goes, then I put her back in her crate. But, then at 5:15 she is ready to be up for the day and even if I take her out and put her back she will not quiet down until I get up with her.

Yawn. I think tonight I'm going to set an alarm for 4:00 and see if that makes a difference.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
You could try taking her out at 4:45-5:00 instead of 4:20 (is she crying at 4:20, too?). Keep it very calm, and calmly put her back in bed. Maybe there's a big enough difference to her that she'll go back to sleep at 5:00 where she wouldn't at 5:13.
Just curious - have you tried this???