Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Training the Trainer

Default Hello! And a question...

Hi all - jeepers, it's been a long time since I was here - time flies doesn't it? I haven't deliberately neglected anyone (lol) just had some major life changes and one of them is what I'm back to ask advice about.

I am six months pregnant with our first baby and we are very excited. I've been doing all the `preparation' things with the dogs and am not worried at all that we'll have any problems when bub arrives.

My query is regarding the car.

I have a reasonably small sedan and the dogs have always gone in the back seat when I take them anywhere. Well, now that poses a bit of a problem because obviously I will have the baby capsule in the back and I do wonder if it's not good parenting to have the baby and the dogs in the back at the same time. It won't happen often - but it will be a reasonably regular thing.

We may end up just having to get a new car, but budgets are tight and we'd like to avoid that if possible. I have looked into getting special crates for them but they're big dogs and there won't be enough room in the back to do that. The crate people I spoke to suggested that I harness the dogs to the car doors and that way they won't be able to bother the baby. But I don't think that sounds very safe for the dogs so I had a couple of questions.

First and foremost - am I just in la-la land thinking it might be ok to have all three in the back at once? Is this terrible and should I just get a new car, period?

Secondly, if it did seem to be ok to have them all in the back, do you think their normal car harnesses would be secure enough so that they couldn't bother the baby?

Lastly, has anyone heard of any kind of cover or insert that we could use either in the back as a barrier or over the baby's capsule so that the dogs couldn't get to her?

These are serious questions - even if you think I'm mad please tell me in a nice way! I'm just trying to work out the best thing for all involved.

Thanks in advance

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Training the Trainer

I'm bumping this - nobody's got anything for me?

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare, and love we can spare. In return they give us their all. It is the best deal man has ever made
Old 04-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I think some kind of barrier would be best. I wouldn't think it was safe to have two dogs and a baby in the back seat together really. Anything can happen and I just wouldn't risk it.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Angel Chicken

Something like that maybe?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 AM
My dog tickles my soul

There are a couple backseat barrier products like this... this one is just the first I found:

http://www.kurgo.com/products/bsb.ht...FQnOIgod2RFVZA

It divides front seat from backseat, and has an optional partition that can also limit dogs to one half of the backseat. (There is even a picture towards the bottom of the page with a child and a dog riding together.)

Hope that helps! Good luck!

EDIT: Here's another link that sort of shows how the divider attaches. Dunno if that would be enough to hold your dogs, but maybe that with a doggy seatbelt harness would do the trick?
http://www.topoftheline.com/auto-pet-dog-barrier.html

Last edited by maxfox426; 04-08-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Found more info
Old 04-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

the divider thing really sounds like your best bet if you don't plan on getting another vehicle
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 04-08-2008, 07:51 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Ruby! Nice to see you!

Is this the only car you have?

I think a barrier would be very important. You wouldn't want the dogs to somehow knock into the baby if you had to slam on your brakes or what not. What kind of car do you own?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 AM
BusterLove

I think the others have this covered but so nice to see you back

Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Love my pets

I looked at the barrier for the back seat but what would stop one of the dogs from putting their front legs over if they saw something outside that window where the baby is? I really think a SUV or mini-van would be better so you could separte the dogs in the back row and then the baby gets the next row behind you.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 AM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04 View Post
I looked at the barrier for the back seat but what would stop one of the dogs from putting their front legs over if they saw something outside that window where the baby is? I really think a SUV or mini-van would be better so you could separte the dogs in the back row and then the baby gets the next row behind you.
That's my one concern, too. The divider doesn't look particularly sturdy (hard to say from just the pictures) or all that tall. That's why I thought a doggy seatbelt at the same time would probably be best.

I dunno. I saw that in a SkyMall magazine a couple weeks ago and thought it was interesting... then when I saw this thread it reminded me of it.