Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-05-2008, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

Default Another Evo vs Orijen question

I have been reading most of the posts about each food. I believe most of you would rather feed Orijen to Evo. There is a place that is literally 2 blocks from my house that sells Evo. I asked her about Orijen and she said she has space issues and is not adding any new foods. There are a few Orijen places but they are driving distance and the closest is parking meter only, which I hate. It's bad enough at work I have to park at a meter for 2 hours (17 min for $.25). I've only been to that store once in the last 2 years.
So I ask, would you stick to the Evo since its right down the street or drive to get the Orijen? Is it that much better than Evo? My dogs like the Evo, seem to be doing well on it. No loose poops, no gas. I'm not sure what else to look for. They are on their 3rd bag.
Tomorrow I am meeting a friend and going to a pet boutique in his city that sells Orijen. I am tempted to buy a bag, but with my dogs sensitive stomachs I'm not sure its worth just feeding them the one bag not knowing if I would go get another bag. I hope this makes sense.
My other question is, does grain free make it easier to switch between brands? And last but not least, would you feed a 1yr old frenchie Evo or wait? He is eating the Royal Canin bulldog stuff right now.
Thank you
Old 04-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Felurian

Straight up, I really like the EVO RM - Orijen isn't available around here, and I didn't really like the ingredients quite as well overall as the EVO RM for my dogs, so I wouldn't be switching even if Orijen were available.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

Thanks. I'm new to all this nutritional stuff.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Twin 2.0

I can't get Orijen, so when we switch foods I'm hoping to go to EVO. I like EVO over Orijen anyway, higher calories.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Just try me..

I Have fed both, and would drive the distance for the Orijen. I like the ingredients better, and most importantly my dogs did better. (even though orijen is slightly lower cal, my hard to keep weigh on dog did better on it) I like both, and the RM was the one I fed (the regular one gave them awful gas) I like both companies too, tho like the one that makes orijen slightly more.

So while I may drive the extra distance, its cause that is the food that works the best for my dogs.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Who woulda thought <3

I've only ever used EVO... if I had the chance I would definitely like to try Orijen, but like Dekka said, it really comes down to whatever works best for you dog
Old 04-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Top Dog

I guess this would fall under if it aint broke why fix it since they are doing fine on Evo. I love the pet store down the street so I think I will stick with it for convenience.
It does say a lot for Orijen you would drive to get it when the other is right there.
I'm going to compare prices at the boutique place.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:36 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

I would like to try orijen, but my dogs are doing great on EVO. I don't think Orijen is readily available in my immediate area.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Top Dog

Nikki,
There's 2 places in Oakland, 1 in Hayward 1 in Berkeley and 1 in Walnut Creek. Wags n Whiskers has 2 stores I believe 1 in Hayward and 1 in Oakland. Neither of them have parking. I am going to Walnut Creek tomorrow to meet w/my friend. The other one in Oakland is in East Oakland. I would rather go to East Oakland than Berkeley.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:45 AM
and Fozzie B!

As long as your dogs are doing good, yanno, it isn't a big deal! Both Orijen and Evo are on the same level (that level being super-duper premium)... and it sounds like a pain to get the Orijen. You could always stop by and get a test bag of Orijen if you're ever in the area. Either way, you're giving your dogs a really great diet, and that's what matters. : D

Whaaa? You're in the bay area? You had better be coming to the meet up! (if/when it happens, hehe)

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie