Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Big Dog

Default Canidae and allergies?

My puppy (11 weeks old) is eating Canidae. We switched her over from Purina (which she was getting at the rescue) between 8 and 9 weeks. I was hoping that would resolve her itching issue, but it hasn't. What are the odds that she is allergic to something in *both* the Purina and Canidae? Or do you think I should be thinking this is something other than a food allergy?
Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

It could be something other than the food. Have you taken her to the vet? What about fleas? Where does she itch?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Pound Puppy

It's usually not the food.
And a lot of different things can cause itching.
I'd stick with the Canidae over the Purina though.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=143
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/food_allergies.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/inhalant_allergies.html

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." - George Santayana
Old 04-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Big Dog

She has been to the vet. The only thing they could find was a little bit of dry skin. So, we added flax oil to her diet (since that has been very helpful for our older pup). The vet is confident that it isn't fleas. Most of the itching is on her abdomen (she stands and scratches her belly with a rear leg a lot) and on her rear legs. She will sometimes scratch at her ears, but that is pretty rare and I think mostly related to some sand that got in them last week at the beach.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:23 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Does she lay on grass? Could be a grass allergy? But that's a big maybe. Some dogs just itch, as well. I have an allergy dog and his itching compared to my others is very noticeable and different. Does she have any spots on her belly?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Big Dog

She has 1 small spot on her belly, and one raw looking area on her rear pawpad. You know, when she was at the rescue, she was kept outside in a dog run during the day and the itching was bad. It diminished after she came home, but has gotten worse in the last week or so while we've been letting her play outside. And she does seem to scratch a lot after she first comes in. Hmmm... the vet was of the opinion that outdoor allergies take longer than a few weeks to show up. What the world would I do about a dog allergic to grass (or in my yard... crab grass)?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Puppy Dog

Spike has a allergy to chicken. Anything with chicken makes him itchy and red. Now that he doesn't have chicken, no redness or itchy's.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:52 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 621mum View Post
She has 1 small spot on her belly, and one raw looking area on her rear pawpad. You know, when she was at the rescue, she was kept outside in a dog run during the day and the itching was bad. It diminished after she came home, but has gotten worse in the last week or so while we've been letting her play outside. And she does seem to scratch a lot after she first comes in. Hmmm... the vet was of the opinion that outdoor allergies take longer than a few weeks to show up. What the world would I do about a dog allergic to grass (or in my yard... crab grass)?
And the vet doesn't think any type of allergies could be the cause? I don't really know how long it takes for allergies to show up or if the pup is too young to even have such reactions? This is really baffling me.

If it's to the point that she is biting/licking excessively and has raw spots, I'd say she needs to go back to the vet to rule out a lot of things. Have you just had her vaccinated? It could be a vaccination reaction. Uhm.. running out of ideas here...

Old 04-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Big Dog

Yeah, I will be taking her back. I guess it could be a vaccine reaction (it was worse right after her first set and then again after her second set), but I expected "more" if it was a vaccine thing. I think sometimes vets just don't really know with allergies. Our lab mix definitely has seasonal allergies. But, the first year they insisted that it couldn't be that because she was too young. Finally when she was about 1.5, the vet said it was seasonal, even though nothing had changed. : ) I'm going to ask about allergy testing on her next visit.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Yeah, if you're going to vaccinate, spread it out as much as possible and don't do combos. They really can make a dog ill.

Did the vet give her any type of relief for the itching? If so, you'll have to wait for the allergy testing. But I do agree with you on that.. if I could go back and do it all over again for my dog, Buddy, I would.. and he would have never been vaccinated and would have had a full blood and thyroid panel done so that we could start treating the cause for his allergies from the get go and not a year after so much damage had already been done.

Best of luck to you!