Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Active Pup

Default New guy here and what I am feeding

Hi, new guy here, just discovered the forum and registered today.

I never dreamed I'd be "cooking" for a dog lol but here are the circumstances...

My old dog of 14 years developed some skin sensitivity over time, we believe it was a developed allergy to wheat and/or corn products. Both dogs had been getting a good quality dry kibble, spritzed with water for years. We switched to Avoderm dry kibble and the skin problems went away! However, my dog who had always been an enthusiastic eater gradually (over several months) began to show disinterest in the Avoderm. We assumed she had just gotten bored or tired of the Avoderm. So we got some Wellness canned food and began making a slurry of sorts by blending some water into a couple of spoonfuls, then mixing it in thoroughly with the Avoderm kibble. It was an immediate sensation. We later discovered that my dog was losing interest in eating because of an advanced terminal illness that we were unaware of (she was in great health and that was her only symptom). Changing her food recipie bought her a few more months of enjoying dinnertime, we believe.

Anyway, fast forward to today... we have a new arrival, a 12 month old Doberman male. To help with his stress/diet-change diareah, we are cooking a cup of boiled rice and mixing it in with the dog's food. That hot steamy rice really wakes up the aroma from the Wellness! Our dogs seem to really enjoy this combination and the warm food and we believe it provides good basic nutrition for them.

Any comments welcome.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:54 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Being a grain, I don't find rice very nutritional for dogs. However, if it's working for you, go for it! Another method to help with diet changes is to give canned pumpkin (NOT the pie filling) which helps ease their tummies during transition. Welcome to the forums!

Old 04-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Active Pup

find a dog food they like some dogs are just fussy eaters, dry food will help with diareah ,you can also get dog rolls from the refrigerated section of most supermarkets which I think is better than canned foods, you can always add a omega 3 supplement to any type of food or open their mouth and make them swallow it to help with the skin condition http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/prod...cat=302&page=1
Old 04-03-2008, 09:50 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Hmm. Kibble does not exclusively help with diarrhea, especially if changing the food. Slow transitions from one food to another are beneficial to aide the tummy, but adding a natural supplement, like pumpkin, will help. I'm not sure which dog rolls you are speaking of, but most contain a good dose of salt and aren't good to be exclusively fed. Canned foods are great. Salmon oil and added eggs may help the coat, our dogs get salmon oil every morning and an egg every other day and they all have beautiful coats.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:56 AM
feel the magic

be careful feeding the rice. I say this because rice is a carb and carbs can put weight on your dog...fast.

I see no problem adding the rice as long as your dogs handle it well. Just watch their waistline.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Love my pets

I've always mixed in a little of the new food with the old to prevent the runs. The plain canned pumpkin definitely works if the pup has the runs.

Congrats on your new family member!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
be careful feeding the rice. I say this because rice is a carb and carbs can put weight on your dog...fast.

I see no problem adding the rice as long as your dogs handle it well. Just watch their waistline.
Yes, we are aware of that... we don't see it as a problem right now because he is a little on the lean side anyway and very active. Our old collie, who is a layabout by nature, has had her activity level boosted by the new guy's activity as well (he wants to play and interact, whereas she would usually just lay around all the time). I'm thinking the boost in activity level will do her good, and a few extra carbs won't hurt to cover the diff.

We weighed him 2 days after we brought him home (had to stop at the vet and make introductions). While there I had him hop on their scale... he's 83.5 lbs of solid bone and muscle. Wow, that is one big puppy. I call him my own pet monster (affectionately). My previous dog was 55 lbs, and this is quite a change! We will be keeping an eye on his growth... right now honestly he could use a couple of pounds and having a baseline will help us keep tabs going forward.

I may have to try the pumpkin... the rice alone doesn't seem to be firming things up very fast. Thanks for the tip.

OBTW, we brought home some of what his breeder was feeding her dogs, and planned to transfer him over gradually - but his gas from the other food was SO BAD that my wife just could not stand it another day. It was pretty awful. We decided to just switch him over and deal with the consequences. Believe me, runny stools is nothing compared to the toxic plume we were living with!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

What was he on before?

And he's a big, but still-growing guy, so be careful with adding on the pounds quickly, you want his frame to be able to handle more pounds.

You should post pics, we love doggie pics here!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Active Pup

In the mornings I have been feeding them both outside... he finishes his breakfast and then goes for his Kong (which I stuff with stale cheerios, peanut butter and dry kibble). He really enjoys working on his Kong. Anyway this gives him something to do while the collie finishes her leisurely breakfast. I tried feeding them outside together last night, and once he finished his food, he tried to get into her bowl. Not good, had to bring her inside to finish unmolested. My wife thought he must still be hungry - I said, if I put plain dry kibble out for him and he still goes after it with gusto, I'll believe he's still hungry. Well, I did and he did! I guess we need more fuel for the Atomic Powered Rocket Dog. My previous dog got one cup of kibble in the am and one in the pm... this guy is getting at least twice that plus a Kong and occasional cookies. I don't want to over feed him but it's possible his requirements really are that high. We will watch closely and throttle back on the feeding as needed. He's still a growing boy and we don't want to shortchange him.

This morning my wife made me a raisin english muffin, buttered it and left it on the edge of the kitchen table - RIGHT AT NOSE HEIGHT FOR GUESS WHO? I just happened to see the second half as it was on its way down the hatch. Probably only about 5 raisins in the muffin, likely not enough to be of concern. We have to get a little more conscious of what we set on the edge of tables and counters. His breeder did tell us he had a background in counter intelligence and counter espionage. Guess we should have listened better!

His old feed was some flavor of Nutro. My wife sells dog food for a living wholesale and she's very knowledgeable about the nutrition content of the various foods. She's not wild about the Nutro but when you have a dozen large, active dogs she realizes that price adds up quickly and you have to balance things. But since he's our only "pet monster" we can afford some better stuff for him.

I'll be putting up pics soon, we have some digital shots of him already, I just don't have them here with me at work. Maybe tonight.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:04 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

LOL! Sounds like you'll have great stories to share with us!

When our mastiff was a puppy, she was on 2000 cals/day. And now that she's 17 months, we've put her down at about 1500 cals/day, but it does differ depending on her growth spurts. For awhile there she was eating her kibble rations and nearly a whole chicken a day... lol, but she is a big grrrl.