Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

It's very important to be educated on what the laws are in your city, parish/county, etc. concerning animal containment.

For example, in the parish & city I live in, there is no leash law, but rather just a "nuisance law." Because of that there are numerous canines and felines running loose, causing havoc, and destroying other people's property.

I'm currently in the fight to change that as where I live is no longer a rural farming community that it once was. In fact, it's the largest growing parish in the state of Louisiana and becoming highly populated. So combine a lot of people with a lot of off-leash dogs and cats and you can bet that the trouble is just beginning.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Exactly. Oz is out in our yard, off leash and supervised BECAUSE there is fence all the way around our property. If there wasn't, I'dve invested in a runner or stake out for him. Not taking any chances whatsoever.
I like to have my dogs out in the frontyard as well when I'm out playing with Cole or when we're just all sitting out there enjoying a nice evening. However, we have a 30 ft. cable tie-out for that very purpose.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Aging Canine Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrion View Post
What i really don't like are children, Not because i don't like them, because i hate the stigma a dog gets if he gets scared and makes a face at a kid because the child ran up to him from behind and completely caught the dog off guard. I don't understand where parents learn or think that letting your child run up to any animal with your arms flailing and screaming would be an ok thing.
Thank you for the rant, at least i know im not alone in this crap...
with you 100% on that. our corgi is absolutely terrified of anyone he doesn't know, particularly kids, and while he has never bitten ANYONE i fear for the child that grabs the slinking away corgi and ends up with an armful of teeth.

that said, i used to work in a pet store where you could bring your dog to work with you. I stopped bringing my dalmatian mix, because although she liked kids, she did not like a gaggle of them grabbing her ears, chasing her while screaming "DALMATIAN" and trying to ride her. Yes, TRYING TO RIDE HER (she's under 40#!!!).

If my children acted like that..... ooooh.... If I had kids.
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Walks into Mordor

Where I live, it's legal to have your dog unleashed on your own property---as long as the dog stays on your property. I don't have a problem with any dog that will stay in its yard, leashed or unleashed.

But there are so many free-roaming dogs in my neighborhood, it's ridiculous. And here's the ironic part: every single house has a fenced yard. Seriously. But people still have this idea that Fluffy will be much happier roaming around the neighborhood than safely contained.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Oz is NEVER in the front yard off leash. That part is not fenced in. Ideally, I'd like to be able to fence it in, but the building code wont allow for that. The backyard is completely fenced though. And when we open up the gate to the neighbors house, Ozzy and their dogs come and go in both our yards as they please. Thats PLENTY of roaming room for all three dogs. And if I am going to another neighbors house with Oz, I walk through my backyard and theirs, and open a gate and then I'm in my other neighbors backyard.

With Oz's DA I don't take chances anymore. He is leashed, tethered or kept safely behind a SIX FOOT fence. Many of my neighbors have four footers. Their dogs just wait until they go in the house and proceed to bust out and wander the neighborhood.

UGH.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
I live in an apartment and I guess all my neighbors think it's fine to just let their little fluff balls run outside to go potty without a leash on.

OMG did I tell you I watched a Beagle owner let his dog out to potty... and the little *&)#&@ actually CR@PPED ON MY PATIO! Beagle finished his turd, ranback to the door, and the owner let him back in and LEFT THE POO ON MY PATIO!!!!!!!! I was livid, but I was waiting for the bus to go take a test.... ooooo I was so mad........

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

I would love to have atleast our backyard fenced in. But we share a driveway and its pretty much impossible to do the way the property is set up. But if it was possible yes it would be fenced. We do have a cable run just just in case situations.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 04-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Sizz, I hope you left that guy a nice surprise on his welcome mat...
Old 04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Lord Cynical

That's the thing CD... I don't know where he lives! I did report him to the apartment complex though... didn't do much good though, since we've apparently got 9 beagles in the building. Ugh, the baying drives me up the wall...

... on a better note, I haven't seen the uber aggressive American Bulldog around... maybe she bit somebody and was euthed... ah well, a girl can dream right?

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Uffda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
OMG did I tell you I watched a Beagle owner let his dog out to potty... and the little *&)#&@ actually CR@PPED ON MY PATIO! Beagle finished his turd, ranback to the door, and the owner let him back in and LEFT THE POO ON MY PATIO!!!!!!!! I was livid, but I was waiting for the bus to go take a test.... ooooo I was so mad........

OOOoooo....I'd be PISSED!! We've got quite a few that don't pick up over here (lol, last year signs were conveniently posted in the yards of the worst offenders....gave me a chuckle!) but at least they seem to keep it on the grass.

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion