Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-03-2008, 11:20 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Jazz is excelent off leash. However she has one weakness KITTY. she loves to chase them then hold them there and lick them. This being said I dont want her seeing one and getting hit by a car. Also I have a breed that most people are scared of and I respect that. She is never off leash unless in a dog park. I cant even take her there without a muzzle. Idiots have the DA foo foo dogs there and when the Chi attacks my dobe who will win and whos going to get blamed

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-03-2008, 11:58 AM
We are Home.

Believe me Im with you 110% the only time I ever let Walker offlesh is when we are in the field because no one knows how to get to it or has gone there in the 4 years I have taken him and the woods at my dads house. We have only run across one dog there and Walker was acually helping me find it for the lady who lost it. Other then that he is on a leash and a chain becuase of the simple fact that we have stupid people in my neighborhood and i like the added security.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
do any of you with reactive dogs carry any type of deterrents on you to ward off any approaching dogs?

I think it's completely ironic that *I* am the one with the dog aggressive dog and *I* am the one that carries at least 5 deterrents on me. I even carry a bad cuz ball as a distraction tool for Ella. And I simply pray the day that I have to use that to get her attention off an off leash dog, that that off leash dog doesn't enjoy squeaky balls as much as she does.

I know people who carry treats on them to simply toss at off leash dogs. I REFUSE to do that. I REFUSE to reinforce the behavior of a dog rudely running up to us. To me, it's also a good way to get that off leash dog to continue following you.
I haven't had a chance to buy any HALT! spray deterrent yet, but I'm going to. I usually carry treats for my dogs to distract them. For everyone else's dogs, I pick up a few pebbles from the end of my driveway and I WILL throw them.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Uffda!

My problem isn't really on walks, it's taking my dogs out to go potty. I live in an apartment and I guess all my neighbors think it's fine to just let their little fluff balls run outside to go potty without a leash on. Then, of course, when they see my dogs they come running towards them. Joey doesn't care, but Roxie has a particular hate of small fluffy dogs. She just wigs out. I'll bring her inside and I'll have to put her in her crate to get her to calm down. Definitely doesn't help her leash reactiveness. She's gotten a lot better about bigger dogs, but she's got a whole lotta hate for the little fluffy ones! Of course they owners don't have a clue and assume since their dog is cute, little and fluffy it can do no wrong.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

I will admit I allow my dogs off leash in my own yard because its MY YARD.

I have had more problems with people who can't control their dogs ON leash. Twice people with dogs they couldn't handle have broken free and run on to my yard. Maggie is really good with other dogs when not with Tucker. But Tucker who is STILL not neutered (not my fault he's my moms dog. She plans to have him neutered this summer) is very territorial when it comes to his property and his Maggie. And he will attack dogs who come into his yard if she is outside as well. And so a lopey dog will come running into my yard and I will yell for Maggie and Tucker to come. Which 9 times out of 10 they responded wonderfully when in that situation. But sometimes Tucker lets it get the better of him.

I always hear the "Its okay he's friendly" and I go annoyed "Yeah but HE'S NOT" pointing at Tucker. And you better beleive if Maggie thinks Tucker is in danger she will defend him. Its annoying.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Big Dog

Ok, i completely agree, though our problem here in South Texas is the people who leave the dogs in their yard at night, the people who run up to him, and people who wont teach their kids that big dog/little dog doesn't matter, any dog can be dangerous. It gets so hot, i rarely take Brutus for a walk during the day. I do in the early morning and when it starts to get dark. He really enjoys walks to the bay front.

Brutus is a Rhodesian Ridgeback... He's naturally DA and Small animal Aggressive He's bred to be especially weary of people he doesn't know. I try to stress this to people and constantly get "But he's so pretty" and i mean, this dog will do a back flip to keep his eyes on a person. I take him on walks around the neighborhood when i know there aren't that many little ones out. Children around... ok, most of the people around here have no respect whatsoever. I do not mean to offend. It's just what I've witnessed while being here..

When i first got him, i took him on a walk around the streets near the house to get him familiar with his collar and lead. He did great. he was 3 months old. There was a family which *JUST* moved in. What did they do? let two weird unfed pittbull looking mutts run loose. They started killing small animals and attacking dogs. If the two women standing at the end of the street with their dogs hadn't told me, i would have walked down the street. I would never hurt an animal. But if anything were to try and hurt my pup, i would defend him with my life. We all called animal control. They wouldn't come out because it was after 7pm. So we called the cops. They came, took information and confronted the owners, who said "we" had no right to call the cops on them. We even got screamed at for it. Lord forbid i take care of my dog, and don't want him attacked.

What i really don't like are children, Not because i don't like them, because i hate the stigma a dog gets if he gets scared and makes a face at a kid because the child ran up to him from behind and completely caught the dog off guard. I don't understand where parents learn or think that letting your child run up to any animal with your arms flailing and screaming would be an ok thing. Honestly, it's happened dozens of times, i ignore or at least try to ignore every single person who i see on a walk. i talk to Brutus and keep his focus on me or the walk. I've had more than 15 children run up to him or scream and run past him trying to play with him. The poor dog isn't used to this. He's a very kind and friendly dog, as with any dog, within reason. You can't expect him to tolerate complete strangers when his first notion is to protect.

Not only do children bother us. But the people who put their dogs in short chain link fences at night. The dogs have no food or water during the night, nor do they have a lead or anything keeping them from jumping up on the 4' fence that's far too small and far too weak to keep them in. I've been semi attacked by three chow things... ive had a chow chow.. i don't know what mix these things were, but they were all very aggressive, and mostly chained in the fence that is way too small. Brute gets very aggravated by dogs who bark at me. When we walk past a fence and they have no light in the yard, i can't be expected to be able to see this dog hiding in the dark. Waiting till i got close enough for him/her to jump on the fence and snarl as i walk close enough to lose an ear.

Honestly. How old do you have to be before you say "i shouldn't run up to dogs i don't know" I don't figure i have to go into this one very deep. But the people who run across streets behind you and wait till they're right behind you to say "what kind of dog is that, can i touch him?" Not only do i have a panic attack.. but my dog is none to kind to that. Talk about PO'ing a big dog ...

Thank you for the rant, at least i know im not alone in this crap...
Old 04-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieSticksandTricks View Post
Which 9 times out of 10 they responded wonderfully when in that situation. But sometimes Tucker lets it get the better of him.

I always hear the "Its okay he's friendly" and I go annoyed "Yeah but HE'S NOT" pointing at Tucker. And you better beleive if Maggie thinks Tucker is in danger she will defend him. Its annoying.

It's the 10th time that the leash law is trying to protect people from. Not trying to jump on you, but I have heard that a lot, "Oh he NEVER left the yard before!" Well, he just did, and he chased me and my dog halfway around the block, Thanks.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

Read my story on here about what happened to me, my family, and worst of all to my dog, Miakoda. She lost her life because of an unrestrained/uncontained dog and it's idiot owner.

And personally, unless your yard is fenced in, then you are still breaking the leash law by allowing your dog to roam your yard unrestrained/uncontained. I've heard the stories all to often about how "my dog has never left my yard before!", but all it takes is one time for someone else to have their life completely destroyed by your dog's actions.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Aging Canine Advocate

you must live in MY neighborhood! The dogs are either off leash running around (we have at least one stray a day, it's ridiculous) or are TIED UP all the time in the front yard so I can't walk by. I have one DA dog, and one enormous reactive dog, so if I want to walk, I have to either do it individually or walk around paranoid and stiff and not enjoying anything.
Popper's Agility T-Shirts - dog agility, flyball, disc dog, and other dog sports, including breed specific gifts.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Exactly. Oz is out in our yard, off leash and supervised BECAUSE there is fence all the way around our property. If there wasn't, I'dve invested in a runner or stake out for him. Not taking any chances whatsoever.