Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

The ammonia idea is a good one. I carry treats with me on walks, but only use them to praise Bamm when he looks at another dog. As far as oncoming unleashed dogs? I might have to invest in the ammonia. In the case with the offleashed dobermans, I ended up having to kick one of them to get him off my dog. That actually worked well since I kicked hard enough in his gut to nock him off his feet.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 04-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Guess I'll be investing in ammonia then. What about an air horn? I know that won't work for sound sensitive dogs, but maybe for some?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 AM
feel the magic

I recommend HALT! dog repellent spray.
Mail men use it all the time. My sister-in-law has had to use it and it works.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
I recommend HALT! dog repellent spray.
Mail men use it all the time. My sister-in-law has had to use it and it works.
ya someone's actually reccomended that to me as well...
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 04-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Squishy face

I have a few offleash dog stories myself.

The first one took place in the Between Time, after Coco but before I had Benji. I was in my old neighborhood walking Daisy and this golden retriever comes BARRELLING toward us on the street offleash with the owner like 10 feet behind going "don't worry he just wants to meet your dog!" and indeed once the golden got to us he simply sniffed Daisy and went on his way. Its a good thing I didn't yet own Benji at the time because he would have freaked the heck out.

Another incident that happened in the old neighborhood occurred when I had Benji. We were walking by one of my neighbors' houses where they had somebody visiting who owned a cute little bichon frise. As we were walking by the bichon came running out, his behavior all happy and friendly. The woman of course says "its ok he's friendly." while I am holding a freaking out Benji behind me. I tell her that Benji doesn't like other dogs running up to him and she says (about her dog) "Let him get bit. Maybe he'll learn not to run off!" I couldn't believe she said that. Her dog didn't get bit though because Daisy loves little dogs, and Benji doesn't actually bite other dogs, he just ACTS all big and bad. But being a small dog, her bichon could've got way more than "bit".

In my current neighborhood, Benji has been attacked by my neighbor down the street's female boxer (Foxy) twice. The first time the dogs and I were in my yard and she was in the adjacent yard with her boys because they were playing with that neighbor's kids and she just ran over and attacked Benji. Daisy grabbed hold of her skin on her back and wouldn't let go. One of Foxy's boys started running over to help and I told him to stay back because I didn't want him getting bit by any of the dogs. I did get Daisy seperated from Foxy and Foxy ran to one of the boys who took her home.

The second time Foxy attacked I was in MD visiting my friends. My parents had taken the dogs out for a walk on this gravel road that runs behind Foxy's house (and some other houses) when she flew at them and started attacking Benji. Daisy protected Benji again and sent Foxy back home bleeding. My dad called AC that time who just gave Foxy's owners a warning. I think Foxy learned her lesson though, she doesn't try anything with my dogs anymore.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I had Ares at a park, and we were doing some obedience training - drop on recall - on a flexi lead. Someone else was playin ball on the other side of the park, and his dog - a pointer mix - decided to come running over to Ares.

Well, Are doesn't appreciate big dogs charging at him, he is DA, and I don't appreciate other people's dogs charging at us either. So the first thing I did was picked up Ares (I'm not going to let him get jumped on). The guy who owns the other dog continues playing ball while he yells over to me, "Oh, he's friendly!!" He didn't even call his dog! I had to walk over to where he was to bring his dog back to him. He continued to inform me that his dog is friendly, I informed him that I'm not.

Another time, I had Alley at a park and someone had 3 0r 4 little white fuzzy dogs and a little sheltie and they were all off leash. Well, they all decided to come meet Alley ~ who had great obedience training on her, but she thought little white fuzzy dogs were a prey animal. So I attempt to get Alley out of there, and the dogs keep following and they're up her butt. She's looking at them trying to decide who to eat first. I put her on a sit stay and asked for attention (at that point it that had become my only option for saving the lives of these little white fuzzy dogs.) Every time Alley looked at them, I gave her a light collar pop to remind her that she was under a command to watch me. The owner of this menagerie starts going off, talking to anyone who walks past him about how I'm abusing my dog, yanking on her like that. I told him that next time his off-leash dogs (we do have a leash law, ya know) came over to Alley, I would refrain from "abusing" her, and would simply let her eat a dog or two.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Lord Cynical

*sigh* The weather is warming up, and the idiots are coming out of their hibernation holes, I swear!

I'm in the same boat as many of you - I have a dog that is *fine* if he's given his space, but a monster is a strange dog rushed up to him. Ronin goes into damage mode if his personal bubble is invaded by a strange offleash dog.

Thank goodness I've never had an incident... but I'm one to scan the horizon and listen for any noise that even *might* be a dog. I don't carry a spray, but I should. I know a lot of people who carry cattle prods (the kind that electrically shock) on their walks... works like a charm to keep any critter away!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Original Twin

Django is kind of in the same boat. He is extremely reactive, but he isn't DA, he just wants to be BFF with every dog we see. We don't encounter offleash dogs at all. Why? Because I refuse to walk him in our neighborhood. There always seems to be SOME dog running around. I don't want to run the risk of a) them not being friendly and attacking me or my little monster or b) them being friendly and reinforcing Django's spazzouts. And c) our neighborhood isn't the greatest and neither Django nor I are intimitading upon first glance.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

I just want to point out also, even though I didn't mention it in my first post...

Even if my dog WAS friendly towards other dogs when he is on a leash, I DON'T WANT YOUR DOG RUNNING UP TO ME!!! I don't care who the hell you are, or who the hell your dog is. Get the f*ck away from me.

(Sorry, I'm still pissy about this... Jess, where's my button? )
Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Even if my dog WAS friendly towards other dogs when he is on a leash, I DON'T WANT YOUR DOG RUNNING UP TO ME!!! I don't care who the hell you are, or who the hell your dog is. Get the f*ck away from me.
Agreed!!

If I want my dog to play with your dog, I'll go to the public dog park. The fact that I am outside the fenced dog area should clue you in to the idea that maybe, just maybe I don't want to deal with your little fur ball.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team