Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

I do wonder though, even if the sidewalk belongs to the property owner, doesn't its very existance invite the public onto the property? I still doubt it's legal to actually attack leashed dogs there.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 04-03-2008, 07:36 AM
BusterLove

Thankyou CD!

buster still ahsn't been for a decent walk in weeks, why? Because I'm so bloody nervous taking him out in this area. I have seen 2 large breed dogs out loose very regularily since I moved in, one is my next door neighbours, the dog craps on our front lawn and growls at us if we go near their fence. Plus this family has just got a new puppy, it worries me, if it gets too close Buster will eat it and if the larger one comes to its aid, its about twice Buster's size.

And if something does happen, its all my fault for having a
"dangerous dog"...grr. I could rant all day.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Call animal control. I told my neighbor with the Sibe if it happened again, I'm going to do something about it. And not stand there and yell at them either.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

I recommend staying off people's property and carrying a squirt bottle of water, or if it is really bad, ammonia, to defend yourself and your dog with. It's fun out there, isn't it?

Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 04-03-2008, 07:40 AM
feel the magic

do any of you with reactive dogs carry any type of deterrents on you to ward off any approaching dogs?

I think it's completely ironic that *I* am the one with the dog aggressive dog and *I* am the one that carries at least 5 deterrents on me. I even carry a bad cuz ball as a distraction tool for Ella. And I simply pray the day that I have to use that to get her attention off an off leash dog, that that off leash dog doesn't enjoy squeaky balls as much as she does.

I know people who carry treats on them to simply toss at off leash dogs. I REFUSE to do that. I REFUSE to reinforce the behavior of a dog rudely running up to us. To me, it's also a good way to get that off leash dog to continue following you.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:43 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

I go with the ammonia. Especially if i am going out on a long hike with them alone. My mom used to do it, and it saved us from a human attacker once. She used to use an old baby lotion bottle, which I thought was pretty funny.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

I didn't used to have to carry anything, then, suddenly an influx of stupid neighbors with stupid dogs. So I guess I'm going to have to start carrying SOMETHING, if I want to walk my dog unmolested.

Think a baseball bat is over kill??
Old 04-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

The ammonia works better.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 AM
BusterLove

I usually carry a stick if I remember. But it annoy sme that I even have to, I get so sick of "don't worry he's friendly"

or Buster is snarling and lunging while the small fluffy is bouncing around just out of his reach, the owner is there, slowly wandering after this littler dog. OMG you could atleast put in some effort, I'm just trying to go home.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:50 AM
Bloody but Unbowed

Note on ammonia- it can cause permanent eye damage. Dilute with water first, and use only in emergency.