Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Thanks for moving this thread... why do I keep freaking posting these things in the wrong section??? I seriously must love the fire hydrant... lol
Old 04-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Walks into Mordor

Hmm. It's odd that he got along with strange dogs just fine in his foster home, and suddenly doesn't like them.

Another thought: is he on-leash whenever he starts acting like this? Some dogs tend to get reactive when they're on-leash.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Are you dead yet?

I, too, think it's a possibility that he's just leash aggressive and not necessarily "DA". Do you have a muzzle for Bamm? I wonder if he would be calmer in the house if introduced to Winnie off-lead (or dragging a leash) but muzzled for safety.

Eve, for example, is very friendly but will snap and bite at other dogs if they charge towards her or tower over her while she's leashed. Dogs naturally feel much more defensive when they're on a lead since their option to flee is taken away.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:46 PM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
he knows watch me. I use that cue whenever he sees a bird or squirrel since that's a smaller distraction. He does well with that. He has a harder time when he sees dogs though. To explain how he reacts...

He sees the dog in the distance. His head perks up. He puts all focus on the dog and tunes you out. If the dog comes too close... usually about 100 yards away that's when he reacts. When he reacts his hackles go up and he'll usually attempt to lunge forward. He'll then start barking like crazy.

I've been trying the click and treat method to help him understand that when he sees a dog that means he gets a treat. I don't think that's helping him calm down though. Seems like he grabs the treat quickly and turns his head back to the other dog right away.
This is Sierra EXACTLY! To the last detail.

If she gets to sniff the dog, there's a bit of snarly snappy behaviour, and (since I've had her around dogs at work who's owners trust me I've been able to see where it goes from there) usually after an initial snarl or two, she's perfectly fine, and will play, play, play.

I might take this oppurtunity to work with him. Keep him on leash and near you though.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 04-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Crazy Dog!

How long was he with the foster? If he was there for only a short time that may explain why he 'got along fine' with the other dogs. He may have been overwhelmed upon moving in with them. This would be especially true if he was moved from an unstable situation into a foster home.

Good luck, but if it was me (I have a VERY dog reactive dog) I would just crate my dog away from the other dog and not allow any contact. You can always get a mild sedative from your vet just for the night.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Workin' Dog

This is really getting old. Why don't you find a forum full of idiots to try your spam attacks out on?

Last edited by Buddy'sParents; 04-03-2008 at 09:48 AM. Reason: edited out spam
Old 04-03-2008, 07:29 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sch3Dana View Post
This is really getting old. Why don't you find a forum full of idiots to try your spam attacks out on?
Next time, please report the spam instead of feeding the troll further.

-----
Skittle- I don't have any advice to give, but do wish you luck!