Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Active Pup

Default Need help - how to help puppy?

Hi!

A neighbor of mine has a puppy chained out in his backyard 24/7 and every time I've looked, the puppy does not have any food or water. Another neighbor has been giving it some food and we called the police but as far as we know the police did nothing. The puppy is probably about 2-4 months old but I'm not sure. He's small but looks like he'll grow up to be a big dog, like a rottweiller.

Does anyone have any advice on what we could do? Should we knock on the neighbors door and offer to take the puppy or buy the puppy?

Not to sound too judgemental, but if this neighbors yard and children are any indication, I don't think they would ever take care of the puppy better than they are now.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

I would call the Humane Society or Animal control or something like that. My neighbor just had to call on a dog in our neighborhood that is being left in the garage in 96 degree weather. If they have grounds and end up taking the animal, you can adopt it for a really minimal fee. I would try to let the authorities handle it legally, that way you don't get into any kind of lawsuit or trouble. But just call and make as many complaints as possible and they will be more liekly to get out there sooner. Emphasize that it has NO water or NO food and I don't know what the temp is like where you are, but if it is hot, that dog could die from heat exhaustion if it has no water. Let me know what happens and I may pm you some more about it to see if we can figure something out.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Active Pup

Unfortunately, Animal Control funding was cut back to almost nothing in my town but I will try bugging them anyway. Thank you - being persistant is a great idea.

Thankfully, it is not super hot - only about 65 degrees. But it will start getting hotter soon.

Poor puppy

He's black with a sort of tan colored chest, looks vaguely like a german shepherd or rottweiler.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Big Dog

Definately call Animal Control (or Humane Society.) That poor puppy doesn't deserve to be suffering. I hope he gets into a good home.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

Maybe you should offer to take the dog. Just say that you noticed that they don't really seem to be showing a lot of love or concern for the dog, and that you have really grown fond of him, and you would like to purchase him if at all possible. Do you think they would let you take him? Do they feed him or water him at all? Would they even notice if he was gone?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

From what I've heard from others trying to rescue an abused and/or neglected animal, persistance is a must. I get the feeling animal control ignores calls unless they staring getting multiple ones about the same home. Keep calling and urge your neighbors to do the same. Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Active Pup

Thank you. I will keep calling and I will let you know what happens.

I will definitely knock on their door and talk to them about it if animal control doesn't do anything.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

Oh, this just breaks my heart! I'm involved in rescue and I'll just bet they're not adjusting his collar as he grows! You wouldn't believe how many dogs are gotten as a puppy, thrown in the yard and chained, only to have their collars get totally imbedded into their necks as they grow to be big dogs! Be sure to mention the collar adjustment to them! Could I help you locate a rescue group in your area?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Corgi bum

It breaks my heart to!! Poor puppy. He's probably so lonely.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:23 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNHunter
Oh, this just breaks my heart! I'm involved in rescue and I'll just bet they're not adjusting his collar as he grows! You wouldn't believe how many dogs are gotten as a puppy, thrown in the yard and chained, only to have their collars get totally imbedded into their necks as they grow to be big dogs! Be sure to mention the collar adjustment to them! Could I help you locate a rescue group in your area?
Yeah, I saw that on animal planet animal police shows a lot... it looks extremely painful and nasty.

I always make sure to loosen Rocky's collar over that too... in fact, I'll be going soon to go get him a new one--the one he has now is for when he was smaller and he's REALLY growing out of it.