Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2008, 05:52 PM
overdogged

I've never used one (don't have anybody to teach me), but I think they are appropriate for a certain percentage of dogs in limited situations. Crittering, for example, and reliability off-leash in a dog who already understands a recall.

Interestingly, for those who use spray bark collars, there was a woman with a dog at our obedience class on Saturday whose other dog takes the class prior to ours. She was put away, but she's a barker, and the woman was using a remote collar with unscented spray. I have a hard time accepting the use of citronella as dog noses are *so* sensitive and the citronella takes awhile to fade away, which means the dog is still being corrected long after they've quieted. Unscented spray seemed like an interesting option.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Lord Cynical

Used one: Yes
Reason: Excessive barking, recall reinforcement
Use on yourself: Yep.
Did it work: Yes, definitely.
How long did it take: It fixed the recall immediately. Barking it fixed in about a day, but they need occasional reminders with the collar (about once every 6-8 months or so)
Still use: Yes. My dogs wear e-collars on offleash hikes because by law they cannot be offleash without one. And it serves as a "safety device" should my dogs ever ignore the commands they know to chase wild game.
Use again: Definitely.
Over all opinion: In the right hands and for the right reasons, I'll for them.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:07 PM
and Fozzie B!

No, no, no, no, no, no, annnd... no!

Just like many other pain-based training techniques, there are certain times and certain places and certain dogs that might benefit. But speaking generally, I DESPISE shock collars. There is just SO much of a risk for a dog to become fearful, aggressive, hurt, and/or associate the shock with the wrong things (people, for example). Plus, the majority of shock collars are "automatic", which is just bad news.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 04-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

I used one with an electric fence ( PLUS a real fence. That had cinderblocks underneath it.)

I did use it on myself (no way in HELL would i put it on him before i knew what it felt like). Took two shocks to get him to stop going near the fence. We used it for like a week and then stopped putting it on. He's only dug under once since then.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 PM
DILLIGAF?

Used one: Yes
Reason: Not having very good recall at all
Use on yourself: Yes, and all of my friends too.
Did it work: Yes
How long did it take: Two days
Still use: Yes
Use again: Yes
Over all opinion: Works very well, I have the 200NCP model that has a paging feature, If I want Brenna's attetion I just hit the page button and the collar vibrates. Works very well that way.