Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Default How do you feel about shock collars

I know there was a posting on this awhile ago but things might have changed and im sure new members have something to say..

Used one: yes
Reason: was not responding to command. I did try many other ways also..
Use on yourself: Yes, didnt hurt just was a suprise feeling
Did it work: Yes
How long did it take: A few days
Still use: No
Use again: Yes, if need be but no reason too
Over all opinion: Good for the hard headed dog that wont listen. IMO it just kinda like 'hey, you listen up, now'.

What about yall?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I don't use them... I prefer not to... I don't like them personally
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Reason: dog had problems with off lead recalls and crittering

Use on yourself: yes, didn't hurt, just got my attention

Did it work: yes

How long did it take: a few minutes for the recall, about a week for the crittering

Still use: no

Use again: only after exhausting all other possible solutions

Over all opinion: they can be helpful for some extreme cases, but for the most part i don't like them, i think they're overused as a shortcut instead of really training the dog.

they can be useful on a dog who associates corrections too much towards the handler, as the shock doesn't appear to be coming from the handler, they can also be useful in so far as not requiring any discernable body language, but even with my ultra-aware dogs, i haven't had issues with either of those.

there have been some reports of the possibility of the shock causing damage to the central nervous system, but i haven't studied those enough to determine the validity.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 04-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi, I'm Melissa!

I don't like the idea of them, so haven't used one before.
Clickers are such a better method anyways i think, they reward good behaviour, instead of punishing bad behaviour.
They work a dandy on my lil un'!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I've never used one. My mother and my aunt, both of whom use R+ methods (my aunt uses a clicker) have use them, and for the same reason. They live in the country, so the dogs are often off leash. The dogs take off after deer or other critters and become deaf to the world. Its basically a safety thing . . .its not used unless they've taken off and ignored recall. In both cases, too, its a specific dog who has a problem, not all the dogs, who wear a shock collar.

That would basically be the only situation in which I'd use one.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 04-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Queen of the Jungle

In the right hands, they can be a useful training tool but I've never used one, however, in the wrong hands, they can be awful, horrible weapons.
I don't have any issues with either of my dogs that, warrant the use of an ecollar.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

Reason: Invisible fencing
Use on yourself: Hell no.
Did it work: Yes
How long did it take: We did the full recommended training - couple weeks, I think?
Still use: No
Use again: No.
Over all opinion: I think I got really, really lucky with my old dog that he never developed any issues from it. Absolutely nothing would make me put one on Meg, who is incredibly soft and doesn't handle corrections well. I can't imagine a situation where I would put one on any dog.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:44 PM
just call me Nilly

I really don't like them, and can't see a situation currently where I would choose to use one. I've never been shocked by one, but Matt has, and it hurt bad enough that he put his foot down then and there and said he would NEVER inflict that on a dog.

I don't know if it was turned up too high or what, but two of his fingers where numb for like half an hour after his hand was shocked.

On the other hand, we DO use a citronella spray bark collar on Sierra, which I'm not sure if I really like. It works REALLY well, but dogs have uber sensitive noses, no? So we can't understand ourselves what that strong citronella odour puts them through. Sure it's not physical pain (that we know of) but it's more than just a smell of bug-spray I'm sure...

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 04-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

Never heard of a sent collar
Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Squishy22

I've been thinking about getting an e-collar for a long time for my chihuahua mix. Her barking is so out of control. She will bark for 30 minutes straight at a time if I let her. I have a 4 month old in the house, so her barking really irritates me, because the baby cant sleep at times. I dont see anything wrong with shock collars IF used correctly.