Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Walks into Mordor

Talking Need some help collar shopping!

Zeus and Voodoo each need a new collar. I've been looking around online, but am still unsure what to get. I figured all you collarmaniacs out there would be a big help in finding something nice for each of them.

I've never had a martingale, but would be willing to give one a try on Zeus--if it's pretty enough. I don't trust them to hold the Chaos Demon, buckle collars only for him. I also like the traditional-style buckle collars, with holes for adjustment. I hate the ones with plastic snaps and sliding adjustments; I've never had any success with those.

Zeus has a skinny neck, 16 1/2 inches. Voodoo's is about 18 inches.

So if you have any suggestions, please post them!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
just call me Nilly

Your boys are classic leather dogs. Voodoo's collar in your sig is absolutely perfect for him!

I'd go with Paco, to be honest.

Second choice (if you want something a little different) would be an embroidered Collarmania leather with their names on them.

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanillasugar View Post
Your boys are classic leather dogs. Voodoo's collar in your sig is absolutely perfect for him!
Hmm. That collar is a wonderful one, but it's just a scootch to small for him now. It's on the last hole, and is just a teeny bit snug. Maybe I should ask the person who makes them to come up with an identical collar, only an inch longer. *ponders*
Old 04-01-2008, 09:28 AM
*Biter*

I've actually found the martingales to be far sturdier than any other collar I've tried on Hannah. (ETA: I meant sturdily made martingales. Some leave a lot to be desired in the way of hardware and stitching).

I have a friend who makes the sturdiest martingales I've ever owned. She uses pretty heavy duty hardware and their designed more for danes than greyhounds so they're strong! She also has some of the most awesome fabrics ever. Another big bonus, she donates a portion of her proceeds to rescues.

www.thepanachepooch.com

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt

Last edited by shadowfacedanes; 04-01-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Bored Now.

Yeah, martingales are REALLY strong. And nylon is generally stronger than leather, but how it is put together is usually what ends up determining the strength of the collar.. the weakest link and all that, you know.

Have you looked at Master's Pride for leather? I LOOOVE their stuff.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
And nylon is generally stronger than leather, but how it is put together is usually what ends up determining the strength of the collar.. the weakest link and all that, you know.
Yeah, the hardware is what worries me. Voodoo has gone through two slip chains by pulling the links apart, and the martingle hardware I've seen looks a bit flimsy for him. But that site Shadow posted does interest me! I'll check it out.

And nolu, do you have the link for Master's Pride?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Bored Now.

Uh huh.... http://www.masterspride.com/Collars.htm IMO he has NICE stuff for lower prices.

It's not only the hardware I would be worries about, if I were you... but the stitching. Some stitches can actually tear nylon apart and drastically weaken it, so if strength is an issue you want to scour the site for info on their stitching or e-mail them. Also, sometimes they just don't... I dunno.. it just isn't well-sewn. All the nicer collars I have are well-made, and I would have returned them if they weren't, but loads of the 'pretty' collars at the pet expo I saw just didn't look STRONG.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Lord Cynical

www.masterspride.com

My only issue with Masters Pride vs. Paco is that MP usually uses slightly more delicate hardware. Paco stuff is beefy.

There is also Blocky Dogs, but I've never been able to figure out how to order the correct size from them!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Lord Cynical

P.S. a lot of martingale hardware I've seen leaves a lot to be desired. I love my dogma london 'gales, but the hardware is too thin to logically use on a doberman. For this reason I would not buy a martingale online unless you've seen one of the same brand *in person*.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 04-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
All the nicer collars I have are well-made, and I would have returned them if they weren't, but loads of the 'pretty' collars at the pet expo I saw just didn't look STRONG.
I know what you mean. I was searching for pretty collars online (most were martingale) and it kinda bothered me how many sites had disclaimers like "for light use only"". Why produce a collar if it's not strong enough to actually *be* a collar?

And oh, those masters pride collars are gorgeous! *drool*

EDIT: Thanks for the advice on the martingales, Sizzle. I'd love to get a Paco collar too. But I dunno...the price is a bit intimidating.