found kitten

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
hello I have not wrote in a bit. but yesterday I was walking home from my work, and I found I baby kitten on the railroad tracks,and I could not keep it there. i'm thinking its about 3 and a half to 4 week old. and it very thin. you can feel all of its bones. so I'm nursing it back to health. It will eat on the ground but not out of a bowl. can someone tell me how to feed it out of a bowl. and stop the meowing because thats all its does. can anyone help pls.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
First of all, it would have been best to leave it be, as cruel as it sounds. Second of all, take it to a shelter. They have the proper tools and people to handle a kitten that young. But what are you feeding it? What do its ears look like, and does it have teeth yet. You need to first answer those before I can help any more. Im an expert at young kittens, as I have raised 9 orphans myself (not all at once, of course) for the animal shelter.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
well you need to feed a kitten that young out of an eye dropper. They make special milk replacement stuff for kittens that you can get at petsmart. Also the kitten needs to go to the vet. The kitten needs to be kept warm and well fed (which means feeding like every 1 and a 1/2 to 2 hours). Also you have to make sure that you stimulate the kitten to use the bathroom after it eats and every so often.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
No, if the kitten is that old, it can probably use a little box (if its 4 weeks).
EDIT: Make sure she doesnt eat the litter, as kittens like to do.

And eye droppers wont work all too well. Go to petsmart and buy a kitten bottle. Make sure the hole you make in the nipple is big enough to wear if you apply pressue, milk drips out fairly easily. Use Kitten KMR, as its the best milk replacer you can get. But at 4 weeks try softening dry food with the mixed up KMR, or trying a little KMR second step gruel. Make sure no to use purina kitten food, as it make my kittens ill. Watch our for any blood in the stool, ovious disconfort, or painfully bloated bellies as this can mean worms worms worms. If you kitten constantally throws up its food, bring it to the vet and ask him to look for stomach worms, as this will kill kitty quick. You dont need a heat lamp or heating pad at this age, just be sure that no vents are blowing on kitty and that its kept in a all around wire cage is pently of bedding and a shallow water dish that hangs from the side of the cage. You may also want to try putting in some dry food at all times. Also make sure kitty has plenty of supervised excersize time as well though. Watch kittys eyes, becasue if they seem sunken in and you can see part of the extra eyelid thing, that means shes dehydrated, so get milk in her fast, just dont EVER use cows milk. If the kitten isnt going potty, stimulate her too by rubbing her behind SOFTLY with moist paper towels. Make sure she goes # 2 often or you have a probelm. Take her to the vet if diareah occours often, but dont be alarmed by soft stools. If she survives, which it sounds like she may not, sadly, she will probably have metal problems from growing up with out other cats. She will probably be a biter, not having a mom to keep her in line and siblings to show her biting hurts. Nothing really helps this, not acting like a mom cat, not anything. Iv tried it all. Anyways, you can email me any specific questions you have if you like as well. Sorry that jumbled up, but hope it helps!

nicco

Wolfpack
BagelDog said:
First of all, it would have been best to leave it be, as cruel as it sounds...
That's not nice of you to say that.I know I wouldn't have left it there either...Next time try to THINK before making a statement like that

BagelDog

Not crazy...
No, you dont understand. Let me explain. Most of the time, no matter what you think, the mom cat is just moving her kittens to another place. As she is moving one kitten, she must leave behind another and then come back for it. That is when most people find them. If left alone, the mom cat, usually feral, will return and move the remaining kitten. Any animal shelter worker will ask you, Why did you take it? They know the kitten most likly has a mom, and that its better if its raised by that mom. So understand, I was thinking, you just didnt understand what I ment. Ill be more specific next time.

Please dont say somthing like that if you dont understand the resoning behind my saying it.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Ok, well if the kitten is younger than the 4 weeks she needs to be fed by a eye dropper or bottle. We used an eyedropper for our cat when we found her and she was fine. The kitty still has to be stimulated to use the bathroom at times, as you have pointed out. Yes, the kitty still has to keep warm, she doesn't have her brother's or sister's to help keep her warm. Blankets should do the trick, but make sure she's not eating them because she could get hurt. If she's 4 weeks or older you can put the milk replacement in with some good kitten food. Or you could try mixing canned with solid. Make sure the kitty is drinking some water, and let her explore the litter box during the day. I agree about the kitty having mental problems from not being raised by another cat. We got ours at 3 weeks and she is HORRIBLE! She isn't friendly at all, she will allow you to pet her only for a few minutes and she bites. She's always been wierd, and I believe that it's because she hasn't been around other cats as a young kitten.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
Yup, thats what happened with my foster kitten Hollywood. He bit and hissed like he didnt know us, and then act like he wanted us to pet him then he would bite.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
she might be able to go a little longer between feedings, seeing as she is like a month old. Our kitty we sat down with every two hours and tried feeding her sometimes she ate and sometimes she didn't.

neko12_48767

I love my dog Neko
I think it older then 4 weeks because it can eat soft food because I been feeding it can cat food and it eat it just fine. he is doing fine now. he playing with the dogs and strings, and every thing. thank you for all your help. sorry for not writing I was at work. yes it whas teeth. but can you tell me how to stop its meowing.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
it probably is searching for the momma cat. Our's would meow constantly at first if she lost sight of me or my husband. Just keep the kitty with you constantly.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
......Uh oh. Does kitty meow all the time, and act like he can't get comftrable, and is just overall pretty restless?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
what does that mean? Sorry now I can't take the suspense, because our kitten did that and now she's two and she's fine. Bagel, what kind of puppy is that in the picture? We went to the shelter and they had a little schnoodle that looked JUST like your little puppy.

BagelDog

Not crazy...
Scnauzer mixes.

Well, if the kitten meow rather painfully and just can't seem to get conftrable and are restless, it can mean the kitty has somthing wrong with it. It happend to my foster kitty Naomi, and just as she seemed to get better (She also wouldnt eat) and started eating, it got bad. One morning my mom came and woke me up to say Naomi couldnt walk. She just staggered and fell. We rushed her to the shelter where we were fostering her from (They all have vet tech degree and such) but on the way she went into death throws, opening her mouth and streching her legs out all the way and extending her claws. She was already dying. When we got there she was already almost dead, so they quickly put her down. It was some sort of birth defect, somthing didnt develope right or somthing like that. We took her to the vet, but that was form worms and not eating, so its not somthing vets can just see.

Poor little Naynay. :( The night before the morning she died she finally played, batting the straps on my pants. It was the first time we ever saw her play, and the last. :(

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
well our kitten wasn't that bad then. She just meowed constantly when ever we left the apartment (and we weren't suppose to have animals to begin with so we were scared someone would report us). It was funny because we had her in that apartment (and later the kitten we adopted) for almost 2 years and then we finally moved out and noone ever reported us. She sat in the front window, facing the parking lot EVERYDAY and I'm guessing noone ever noticed her. Ofcourse it helped we were on the third floor though.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
he'll grow out of it, in time. He's probably just really freaked out. Ours stopped doing that within like a month or a month and a half. Has he been to the vet yet?

luvmydogs

i found a kitten 2 days ago ( see pics) , and the meowing stops when i put him on my chest, under my shirt to keep him nice and warm ;)

Members online