Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Felurian

Hmmm . . . . I've never known pennyroyal to be toxic. I've even been known to drink pennyroyal tea to get a sluggish period to go ahead and start when I needed to get it over with.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-31-2008, 09:57 PM
Top Dog

Ticks are the worst. Of course we live on partially wooded property and Dixie just love to romp through the woods. During the summer, it's nothing to sit and pick 5+ ticks off her at once. She gets them under her collar where you can't see them.

I guess her treatment would be to keep her out of the woods. LOL. But that ain't gonna happen. I tried advantage and it doesn't seem to help. I think frontline does not kill ticks but I could be wrong. One of them doesn't kill ticks.

Thanks for the siggie Baxter'smybaby!

Laura
Old 03-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Salty Sea Dog

in small doeses in a helathy adult its not going to cause any real issues, but it has been known to cause some pretty nasty effects if consumed by pregnant women and because of that im very cautious about using it on dogs.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post

the problem with pennyroyal...its highly toxic if ingested...not the best choice for dogs or people whos pets like to like them...of if you have a partner who likes to nibble :P

least with lemongrass i wont kill my bf if he decideds to bite
however it works EXTREEMLY well (almost as good as deet!)
and gives me one big whomper of a migraine...i still swear by good old soap and water. Soap kills fleas if you drop one into a jar of water with a little dish soap in it you will see what i mean. If it isn't on long enough it still stuns them..enough for a good body search. I treat my home with borax working it well into the carpet and putting under the cusions. I have never had a flea problem that i didnt' move into. I can't bring myself to use flea treatments, they just make me so nervous and considering Mary's good health and long life, i think we will just keep it that way.

I found a tick on vic two weeks ago. When we go to the woods i always bathe the dogs the second we get back into the house as well as change my clothes completely and do a check on me. ONe battle with lyme is all i ever want to go through.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Are you dead yet?

I use advantix a couple months out of the year, and when we're traveling.

During the off season, I use a rosemary/tea tree oil rinse following their usual baths.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
in small doeses in a helathy adult its not going to cause any real issues, but it has been known to cause some pretty nasty effects if consumed by pregnant women and because of that im very cautious about using it on dogs.
The ill effects on pregnant women are essentially the same effect as jump starting a period. Back in the day, pennyroyal was used as an abortifactant. Taken in high enough doses it can cause spontaneous abortion. Contrary to what most people want to believe, abortion isn't something that came with modern medicine.

I've made decoctions with it and used it as a rinse for the dogs in the past. It did help with the fleas, and they smelled pretty good, too. I don't know if I'd use it on very small dogs though, since the concentration to size might conceivably be a problem. It's really been the only herbal flea remedy I've had any significant results from though. Even feeding them garlic and brewers yeast was pretty much a bust, and I still had itchy dogs . . . with the addition of really NASTY farts.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Love my pets

I use Frontline. I know it's expensive but it works. For my 4 dogs between Frontline and Heartgard, I spend $1,200 a year.