Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Walks into Mordor

Thumbs down The great bug battle

Yup, it's that time of year. The buggies are coming out again. I found a tick on Zeus yesterday. Eww eww eww ewwwww! I was wondering what everybody did to combat the little dog-eaters.

I don't use Advantage or anything like that. With two fairly large dogs, it costs a small fortune.I found that I only have a flea and tick problem for the first month of spring and the last month of fall. If I can keep my guys flea-free for that period, they tend to not get any bugs for the rest of the year. Kinda weird, but I'm not going to question it.

We spray our yard in the spring and fall, and I bathe the Horsemen once a week with flea and tick shampoo during our problem months. I also spray down the house (couch, upholstry, etc.), twice a year. That seems to be enough to handle the problem for us.

How about everybody else?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:46 PM
just call me Nilly

Well, Sierra being my first dog on my own, I'm still figuring out what our regime is going to be. I don't like to use chemicals on my pets unless absolutley necessary (I've only ever put Advantage or Revolution on the cats if they actually got fleas, and for one month after to clear it up for good) so I'm not sure what's going to be absolutley necessary for Sierra...

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 03-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Walks into Mordor

Here's something random: my mom's maltese tends to get fleas, but is sensitive to topical medications. Because of her sensitivity, Mom was hesitant to use flea shampoo on her.

A person on a maltese forum told her to use Head & Shoulders, the human dandruff shampoo. Mom said it worked great! Killed the fleas and didn't irritate her dog at all. I'd heard of Ivory dish soap killing fleas, but not Head & Shoulders. Has anybody else tried using it?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:56 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

There are lots of holistic ways to combat them as well. A google search will yield lots of articles and home remedies that work.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:57 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I use Dial soap to kill fleas. It works great too! The orange kind. Let it sit for a few minutes, and rinse the dead fleas off.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

Dial hand soap?? I like the smell of it..
Old 03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
<3 mes deux filles <3

I was looking at what I think was new (could have been there before but I never noticed it) on Petedge.com. It's a topical treatment that claims to be all natural. It's called Sentry Natural Defense and said it contains Octopamine, a neurotransmitter blocker that is deadly to pests, but completely safe for pets. Anyone here of this? I was thinking of trying it out this year instead of Frontline. Though I'm not done researching it yet before deciding whether it's safe or not.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Salty Sea Dog

heres some ALL natural solutions to keep the bugs away (works for people too and good for fleas ticks and mosquitoes!)
because its natrual the effects odnt last that long so i still suggest something stronger if your the type to go hiking ect...

some essential oils that keep bugs away...

Lavender
Spearmint and Teatree
Lemon Grass or Citronella

buy whichever human grade essential oil suits you best, ive found the lemon works best for us against the mosquitoes particularly well (im highly allergic to mosquitoes) however all 3 work well for all 3 types of biting insects.

dilute 1 part essential oil to 3-4 parts water (it should smell fairly stong but not strong enough to give you a migrane), mix in a squirt bottle turn to mist and spritz, the enssential oils will linger on the coat but wont do any harm (and wont realy hurt if the dog licks itself (though lavender tastes bitter lol)

make your own by steeping lemon grass or citronella plant in water...

plant lemongrass/citronella plants, spearmint and lavender around your doors and windows if possible to help keep the bugs OUT of your house.

this is what i use for mosquitoes, but since starting ive not seen a single flea or tick on any of the chis and i live in ct (deer tick central )

if theres plans for camping i used K9 Advantix, frontline doesnt work in our area and i dont trust any other brand topicals.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 03-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Felurian

Pennyroyal helps, too, Foxy. Especially if you use an incantation

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Salty Sea Dog

the problem with pennyroyal...its highly toxic if ingested...not the best choice for dogs or people whos pets like to like them...of if you have a partner who likes to nibble :P

least with lemongrass i wont kill my bf if he decideds to bite
however it works EXTREEMLY well (almost as good as deet!)

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets